Chapter 2

"Lucy. Lucy!" I wake to see George staring at me, his bespectacled eyes filled with concern. He dabbed a wet cloth on my forehead and popped a jam scone in his mouth.

"What happened?" I ask.

"You fell down the stairs. Lockwood and Holly are in the kitchen now. You were feverish, we weren't sure what was wrong with you!"

Trying to push down the annoyance and embarrassment, I smile. Firstly, Holly didn't need any help with the tea, so why was Lockwood helping her instead of checking on me? Jealousy sprung in my mind again and I scowled. Secondly, I'd fallen down the stairs. My cheeks flushed with embarrassment at the stupid situation and attention from George and I sat up. "My God George, you make it sound as if you care."

"I don't!" He frowned and removed all emotion from his eyes. "I just need to take care of you because Lockwood is with Holly." Cheerful laughter floated from the kitchen and my stomach twisted again. Falling down the stairs while sleepwalking during a nightmare is mortifying. Especially when you are trying to look tough. But now Lockwood knows how imperfect I am compared to Holly. I stand up and walk to the stairs, catching myself on the balustrade as my eyes go out of focus. "Lucy! I told you! Get back on the armchair!" George calls after me.

"I'm going to bed. End of story," I say. As I reach the top I hear Holly and Lockwood leave the kitchen, and I walk into my room without a glance back.