Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Thanks to the outlaws skill at forest living, they managed to avoid the larger roads for most of their journey. Finally they made it to Venice without incident and bought passage on a ship home. They were still travelling incognito, posing as merchants.

King Richard shared his cabin with Augustus so he could act as the Kings guard, Robin shared with Guy, Tuck with Much and Lou got her own cabin, though she swore she was fine sharing with someone if the king wanted his own space.

Guy welcomed the opportunity to rest and even though the others hadn't been wounded, they were grateful for a rest as well since it had been a long and at times arduous trip, with much travelling through the night to help avoid detection.

On the third day on board, Guy finally made the decision he'd been toying with ever since the ship set sail, and he headed to the King's cabin. He felt slightly queasy as he approached and knocked, but he supposed that considering what he was about to do, that was probably to be expected.

He entered when told to and found the king playing chess with Augustus.

Augustus didn't see Guy as a threat since he had helped rescue the King, so when Guy asked for some privacy he was happy to leave them alone together.

"So, what brings you here, with what appears to be a rather heavy heart." Richard asked as he reset the playing pieces.

"I have a confession to make to you, My Lord."

"Oh?" Richard leaned forward.

"Sire..." Guy really had no idea how you should go about confessing you had tried to kill someone. He felt the sweat break out on his forehead and to his surprise, he shivered. This was it. In a few minutes he could be dead.

Finally Guy decided he should start at the beginning. "I'm not sure how much Robin has told you, but you should know that until recently I was in the employ of Sheriff Vaisey of Nottingham and under his orders, I have twice tried to kill you."

The King nodded.

"You knew?" Guy sounded shocked.

"I suspected. Your hair is longer but I thought I remembered seeing you in the Holy Land."

"You were right, though I am curious as to why you didn't say anything sooner?"

"Why rock the boat? I trust Robin more than almost anyone. If he trusted you, I felt I owed it to him to do the same."

Guy bowed his head. Was this what shame felt like, he wondered.

"So, why are you telling me this now?" Richard asked.

"Because the immediate danger to you has passed and you no longer need me as a bodyguard. Not that I've been in any fit state to protect you recently."

"You were injured rescuing me, so I think I can overlook that."

"Thank you, my Lord."

"I have to ask you, what exactly do you expect me to do with this knowledge?"

"Treason of this magnitude can only be punished by death, Sire."

King Richard was throughly intrigued by the man who stood before him.

"Tell me, Sir Guy, how is it that you changed from my brothers side to mine?"

"I was... lost for many years."

"And now you're found?"

"In a manner of speaking."

"So why are you here?"