Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

"They say he's been arrested for the murder of Leopold's cousin, Conrad of Montferrat," Lou explained. "He is being held in the castle above the town."

The outlaws had ventured to Austria and had made their way to Dürnstein, where the king was being held. Using her language skills, Lou had journeyed around the local taverns gathering information.

"But if he's being held for murder, why demand a ransom?" Robin asked.

"There's little love lost between Leopold and Conrad," Guy said. "He wants money much more than vengeance."

"Guy is right," Lou said. "The talk is that Leopold plans to use his share of the ransom to rebuild Vienna's crumbling defences."

"So how do we get into the castle?" Robin asked.

"There's something else," Lou said. "They also spoke of an Englishman staying at the Sanger Inn. He's been here almost since the king arrived."

Guy and Robin shared a look.

"What!" Much was getting irritated with these looks.

"I believe they are wondering about the connection," Tuck answered.

"I'd stake my life that it's no coincidence," Robin said.

"I agree," Guy answered. "I say we go and speak to this Englishman."

"But is he friend or foe?" Much asked.

"To us, there's no way to tell." Robin shrugged. "But I'd be willing to bet he's a friend to King Richard."

"What if he's the one who sold Richard out to them?" Much asked.

"Then why would he stick around?" Guy asked. "Believe me, if someone did betray the King, he'd be long gone by now."

"Well you would know," Much snapped.

"Much!" Robin chided.

"No, Robin, he's right. Which also means that I'm right."

Much pouted but didn't argue.

"So, let's go and pay this man a visit." Robin finished his beer and stood up. The others followed suit and they headed out of the tavern.

"So where is this Inn?" Tuck asked Lou.

"Follow me."

Lou led them through the main square, following the directions she had been given, until they came to a coach Inn near the edge of the town. The Inn was clearly for travellers, those passing through on business. For someone to stay here more than a night or two would be unusual.

They debated how to approach him for a while but finally decided the best thing was simply to knock on the door. Lou spoke to a stable boy and found out where the Englishman's room was, then they headed up there.

The door was opened by an imposing man. Though he was dressed in merchants clothes, his demeanour, muscle mass and the scars on his face and arm suggested he was much more than just a simple merchant.

"Was wünschen Sie?" he barked at them.

"Wir möchten mit Ihnen sprechen." Lou answered.

The man smiled, recognising her English accent. "So talk," he invited.

Robin stepped forward.

"My name is Robin Hood, and we're here to rescue the King."

The man looked carefully around the group then back at Robin.