Chapter Five

Chapter Five

After intercepting Isabella's message to Prince John, the gang knew that they had to act quickly. Everyone seemed relieved that King Richard was returning home, except for Guy obviously, but no one said anything about what it would mean for him.

Isabella had already kidnapped the men and stolen supplies from two villages, though they had managed to save the inhabitants of Locksley from the same fate.

As they discussed plans Guy suggested taking Isabella rather than a direct assault on the castle and told them about the secret tunnel Vaisey had built. Robin agreed that it was a good idea.

Later that day though, half of Isabella's locket was found in the camp and Guy became uneasy.

"She's a manipulative witch, Robin. If this is here, she's up to something."

"I don't disagree, but what?" Robin asked. "Do you think she's been here?"

"No, if she'd found this camp she'd have stormed it already. She has little patience."

"So what do we do?" Robin asked.

"Watch the others," Guy told Robin as he held the locket up and gave a loud whistle to get everyone's attention. "This locket belongs to my sister. It was given to her by my mother and she would never part with it. If anyone knows anything about this locket and how it got here, I suggest you speak up now."

Kate turned away and Guy and Robin shared a look, silently agreeing her behaviour was suspicious.

Since he'd saved her life in York, Kate and Guy had formed an uneasy truce and though neither was exactly fond of the other, they were tolerant of the others presence most of the time.

"Kate?" Robin asked. "What do you know?"

Everyone turned to Kate. She didn't answer but soon felt she had no choice as she realised that everyone suspected her.

"Ask Robin about it!" she snapped. "If it is that precious to her, it strikes me he's the only person she'd give it to."

"Kate?" Guy stepped forward. "What happened to make you say that?"

Kate didn't answer for a while but finally told them what her mother had said about Robin having the other half.

"Kate," Guy said kindly. "Why would Isabella share that information with your mother if not to try and drive you and Robin apart?"

Kate frowned.

"My sister would put Machiavelli to shame."

"Well, you should know," she spat.

"You're right," he didn't take offence at that. "Don't ever take my word or her's over Robin's"

Kate looked ashamed of her suspicions and she and Robin went off to talk. 

III

Little John came storming into the camp and announced Allan's pardon to everyone. Remembering that he had betrayed them before, all eyes turned to Allan, until they  remembered the locket.

There was no way to be certain that Allan wasn't helping Isabella but Robin and Guy discussed it and thought it unlikely as only someone truly incompetent would announce it to the world like that. As a precaution though, they did agree that Allan should always be accompanied by two other people. Robin asked Tuck to keep a close eye on him without being too obvious.

Finally they were ready to implement their plan and they divided into three groups.

Robin, Guy, Much and Lou would take the castle through the tunnel. Tuck, Allan and John would stop the convoy from leaving Nottingham. Tuck wanted to mount a non violent protest to stop them but in case that failed, Kate and Meg would be close by with the weapons and Greek fire grenades.