A Villain Like No Other

"Do you really think we can trust him?" Mary Margaret said as they discussed their situation at the back of the diner. It was closed for the night, so they were using it as a base to talk battle strategy. Emma's house would've been safer if the enemy had not already infiltrated it.The villain they were facing was not to be taken lightly. Afterall, he used to be their friend.

"It's fine, Mom," Emma said, "I know when someone's lying and this man isn't."

Mary Margaret nodded, and turned to her husband, David. "Should we let him fight? He does look like he may have some experience." And it was true. The man was battered and bruised in almost every place imaginable. The strange part was, however, he didn't seem to be in any pain.

David nodded, "We could use all the help we can get."

"Are you two serious?" Regina, the mayor, cut in. "I knew you two were idiots but--"

"Regina, please." Emma said, stopping her. "Right now isn't the time for your smart remarks. If you have something to say, cut to the chase. We don't have long before he comes for us all."

Regina rolled her eyes. "Like he'd ever hurt you."

Emma shook her head. "It's my fault this happened. He wouldn't be after us if it wasn't for me. Trust me, he wants me dead. But not before I suffer for my crime." Regina's eyes softened. She may not know what Emma was going through, but she knew her well enough to see how guilty she felt. She didn't deserve this pain.

"Look," Regina started, "We can't tell him the secret of this town. He'd think we're all insane, or he would go insane. Our situation is not easy to handle."

"That's a chance we'll have to take." said Mr. Gold who, like most of the group, had been quiet during the discussion. "I know what it's like to have your heart consumed by darkness. If we don't do this now, we may not see the light of day."

"It's settled then," Emma said with an air of finality in her voice, "Peter will fight."

Emma and the rest of the group walked up to the front of the diner where Peter sat waiting, eating onion rings that Granny -- the owner of the diner -- had made. He stood up at their approach.

"So I can fight then?" He said, making it sound like a question when he already knew the answer. He didn't know what they were hiding, but he had a few secrets of his own.

Emma tilted her head slightly, her welcoming gaze hardening. "You already knew, how?"

Since she was so good at knowing when he was lying, he decided it would be safest to come clean. "I can, uh, read people's minds." He said and Emma raised her eyebrows, looking impressed.

She looked him up and down, thinking how he could be even more useful than she thought, when she noticed something different about him. "Your injuries, they're gone." And it was true. There wasn't a scratch on him.

He looked down, looking up at them through the top of his eyes with a mischievous smile on his face. "Yeah, I can do a bit more than read minds." Suddenly static electricity erupted from his hands and he levitated off the ground. Emma gasped, backing away from him, but she wasn't afraid. Just surprised.

Once he lowered to the ground he smiled, like he was waiting for applause. He didn't receive any.

Henry, Emma's son, stepped forward. "That was so cool!" He said, his eyes gleaming. He always wanted to be a hero, to fight the good fight. But without magic that made things slightly more difficult. Besides, he was better with a pen than a sword.

Peter smirked, "Thanks, kid." He turned to the rest of the group. "I can absorb other people's abilities. My brother can fly, my niece can survive any injury. So I can too." He paused. "Wait, you don't seemed surprised."