「 chapter nine 」

"Serious talk? Again?"

He shrugged, a smile on his lips, as he reached over to pull his backpack towards him and pull out two cans of soda, handing one to me. He popped open the top and took a drink before saying something.

"Not really serious, just a chat,"
"How many have we had in the past month?"
"A lot."

I opened my mouth to speak again but he shot me a look and that shut me up for some weird reason.

"So," he smiled, his eyes crescents. "What do you think of me?"
"We've been friends for so long and now you ask me that?" I raised my eyebrows.
"I was suddenly curious," he shrugged.

I thought about his question. I guess I had never really thought about that sort of question before, which makes it so hard to answer.

But he's my best friend. Shouldn't it be so easy for me to answer?

"Honestly, JB, you're amazing," I said truthfully. "You're the best,"
"Is that it?" he took another sip, stretching out his legs on the grass.
"Well... What else am I supposed to say?"

He glanced at me and let out a sigh, making me feel a bit confused. What more does he want to hear?

"You said you wanted to be forever young," he started after a moment of silence. "Right?"
"Yeah," I nodded. "I said that. So? What about it?"
"What were you thinking when you said that?"

This conversation is rather different from what I'm used to.

"Umm..."

I don't know what to say. It's sort of hard to explain what went through my mind when I said that before... Even I can't really understand it...

"Do you like me?" he asked, tapping my arm.

How can he say it like it's nothing?

"Jaebum..."
"You know, there's nothing wrong with liking me. If you like me, just say it. Nothing's gonna change-"
"I-it's not that! I... I just..."

He looked back at the Han river, a smirk forming on his face, and I bit my lip. Do I actually like him?

But then again, I don't think I do. Sure, he's my best friend. He hugs me a lot and he does a lot of skin ship but I have never really thought of our relationship being more than just friendship.

"I didn't say that because I like you in that way, Jaebum. It's because you're my best friend, and I don't want anything to change. I don't want to grow up because I know that if I do, we'll grow apart, like friendships normally do." I admitted.

He finished his can of soda and pulled out a plastic bag from his backpack, putting the empty can inside. He took a deep breath then looked straight at me, his gaze catching mine.

"But our friendship isn't normal, is it?"

I have no idea what this guy is talking about.

"Uhh... I guess..."

I'm so awkward today, I hate it.

"And don't you know? They say if a friendship lasts at least seven years, it'll last forever. We've been friends for longer than that, and you know it. Who's to say our friendship is just normal?"

I was quiet. I didn't know what to reply to that. Should I even still say something?

He suddenly reached into his backpack again and pulled out a pack of chips, tearing the package open and offering it to me.

"This is getting too serious. Eat," he told me, popping a handful in his mouth.

I had to laugh. Using chips to break the awkward/serious atmosphere? That was a new one. I have never seen anyone use that method before.

"But on a less-serious-than-before note, though, I have something to tell you. You know this already, I'm positive," he said, swallowing. He paused for a moment before continuing. "I like you."

I've known that for a while, but... It still surprised me and got me speechless. And since when exactly did he start to like me?

And I'm not really bothered with that fact, even though most girls would freak out at the thought of their best friend secretly liking them. Is it that weird? Is is that bad to like your best friend?

"Since when?"
"I don't know. Three, four years? I'm not really sure."
"It's been a long time." I noted.
"A really long time," he agreed.
"And.... And you never told me before?"
"I did. You were just too stupid to understand."

I frowned at him, reaching over to get a chip again.

"When?"
"Think about it, because I'm not telling you. Remember it."

I think there was this time two years ago when he came to walk with me after school and saw me talking to a male friend. On the way home, he bombarded me with questions about him. Especially if he was my boyfriend, which made no sense at all.

But he did seem extremely relieved when I said no, even though he didn't really show it.

And before that, when somebody confessed to me. He wanted to know everything about it, that I honestly found it weird that time, and a bit creepy.

I don't really mind those things now, since he's my best friend, after all, and I decided that it's normal for best friends to be protective over each other.

"I didn't think of it that way, though." I told him.
"Well, I didn't want you to realize it, either." he replied. I raised my eyebrows.
"You're confusing me, JB,"
"Not intentional," he shrugged, flashing me a slight smile. "And you know what?"
"What?"
"How do you look so beautiful without even trying? I never noticed it before,"

My cheeks turned bright red.

_________________________________________________________________________

Comments? :)