Again he thought she was going to decline, that he was doing 'too much' for her but then she nodded, "sounds amazing. You know how to treat a gal, hey?"

It was an awkward moment the joke falling a little awkwardly, so instead he made for the kitchen hating how uncomfortable things became so quickly between them.

Sammy wanted to curl up into a ball and disappear, she hadn't meant to make such a ridiculous faux pas, and she'd had to watch Joel scurry off into the kitchen as though he'd been burned. Daniel had accused him of having feelings for her, that had caused a huge rift, and now...now she was making inappropriate comments. She felt like such a bitch.

"I'm sorry about that, a mistimed joke," she offered the moment that he emerged from the kitchen with a tray.

Shrugging he set it down on the table, "we're just tiptoeing around each other again, and after last week...I thought we were past that." Sammy opened her mouth to speak, but he held up his hand, "I HAVE to confess." Her eyes widened as he gave a sigh, "I spoke to Clifford, I told him you wouldn't accept my help, that you needed help."

For a moment she felt as though the rug was being pulled from under her feet, it felt like a betrayal of the biggest degree. As she turned her head for a moment, torn between the desire to both scream and cry, she remembered Clifford that afternoon, this wasn't about her anymore. She was stubborn, fiercely independent, but she HAD to remember that she had to do right by Eleanor. She needed a home, she needed security, and that meant controlling her obstinate streak, curbing in her inflexibility. He wanted to help her, he wanted Eleanor to be safe, and he was trying to do the right thing by them, and Marcus.

Reaching out she placed a hand over his, "I've been an idiot. I'm sorry. You were right, I need stability. I can't get that without someone's help. So thank you."

His mouth opened in shock and he looked as though he'd been slapped in the face. Suddenly she couldn't contain her laughter, it was mistimed, totally inappropriate, but laugh she did.

Joel was stunned, tears were rolling down her cheeks and the laughter had no sign of letting up. He relaxed back into his seat and smiled, he couldn't remember seeing her laugh, not like this, not to the point of tears. And it was infectious, he wasn't rolling around like her, but he was chuckling. He couldn't not.

Eventually she gasped a few breaths and controlled herself, "sorry, but you looked as though I'd just hit you, and in fact it's quite the opposite. I should hate you; or rather I would have if it wasn't for you, for Clifford." It didn't make sense, but she didn't care.

He still looked anxious, "so what happened today?" he asked once she'd taken the tissue he offered and wiped her eyes.

"Clifford told me that he was buying the cottage for Eleanor, that she deserved what Marcus would have provided for her." He looked at her for a moment and she laughed, "I know, I know...that's exactly what you told me too. Maybe I needed someone a little more distant to make me see sense? I just feel awful though, he has the weight of what Daniel has done so heavy on his shoulders."

Joel shrugged, "and he has the chance to salvage a relationship with you and Eleanor, he has the chance to secure the future for Marcus. Don't deny him that, maybe put yourself in his shoes?"

Smiling she stared up at him, "I know. And that's really hard. I'm stubborn...but then I've had to be. Other than Marcus I've never had anyone to rely on, and I find it hard to stop, I find it hard to let anyone help me."

"No shit! But I know how that is." That was no lie; since Marcus had died he had no one to look out for him, no one to confide in. If he disappeared off the face of the earth he wondered who'd miss him, how long it would be until someone noticed? That was something that had kept him awake many a night recently.

She was smiling at him, "yeah, we're both plagued by shit childhoods, hey?"

"All the more reason to make sure Eleanor has NONE of those insecurities, none of those worries. Am I wrong?"

As she shook her head, agreeing with him, her eyes filled with tears, "I think I preferred the laughter tears.

Sammy groaned, "I am SUCH an emotional wreck at the moment."

"Again you and me both."

This time the poignant moment wasn't followed by awkwardness, instead Sammy reached for a knife and cut off a hunk of brie, then laid it on a cracker. Then she popped the whole thing in her mouth.

Joel loved seeing that moment of indulgence, it gave him a warm feeling, and so he followed suit.

It hadn't been a late night, they were both emotionally drained, and Sammy had been relieved to collapse on the comfortable bed in Joe's spare room. It was the best night's sleep she'd had in ages, ending with Eleanor climbing in bed beside her art about four am, but she too had fallen straight back asleep and slept soundly for the rest of the night. Her watch showed eight am, and her daughter was sat in bed babbling at her, but before she got up herself, a knock had preceded the bedroom door opening and Joel's face peeking around it.

"Come on young lady, I promised your mother a lie in, and a relaxing bath. You want some toast?"

"Ya!" Eleanor announced as she bottom shuffled off the bed. Her complete obsession with Joel was very amusing. She didn't look back as the door closed and they left her alone. She intended to get a shower, or maybe this much mentioned bath. But she drifted off and it was almost ten when she finally woke.

She couldn't remember when she'd last slept that long and stretching out over the crisp sheets was luxurious, almost orgasmic. Finally dragging herself out of bed, she jumped in the shower and freshened up; she had no desire for a lengthy bath after that sleep.

Twenty minutes later she emerged to find Joel and Eleanor curled up on the sofa under a blanket, Peppa Pig on TV. As she moved around he looked up with a smile, and it was then Sammy realised that Eleanor was fast asleep.

"You're a miracle! Do you want a coffee?"

He nodded, "that sounds amazing. I made a pot a little while ago. It's in the kitchen."

When she returned with two mugs he'd flicked the TV to a news channel and she rushed over to help him move Eleanor to the other end of the sofa and he stretched his arm out.

"She is heavier than she looks."

Sammy laughed, "she sleeps very deeply. Which is a good thing. Thanks...for the lie in. It's been a long time."

"It was a pleasure, I showed her tons of pictures of Marcus, she didn't really get it, but it made me happy. How dreadful is that?"

She shrugged, "she lives in a world with lots of images of her father, she will know him, you'll be surprised. Thanks though, that's really kind, on all fronts."

"Are you getting a train today? Or can I tempt you into staying another night? I've got a football match at two, but other than that I have no real plans."

She'd love to stay, it was nice to be back in London, but then she had so much on, so much to do back home. Plus now that she knew she was going to accept help from Clifford she wanted to get started. She wouldn't get back until late Saturday, but it meant she'd be ready to go on Monday, ready to take on a new day.

"I've got a lot to do..."

He gave her a sad face, "are you sure?"

It was tempting to stay, but he'd done more than enough for them.

"Will you come to us soon?"

He nodded, "try keeping me away."

"Well no hotel, stay at my Monica's ok. She's away most weekends, just let me know?"