Chapter 7

Isabella's POV

It felt as though someone had taken a hammer to my head. A painful throbbing that seemed to fill every space in my mind was present. My skin felt hot, yet cold at the same time. My vision was spotty, refusing to clear enough to allow me to see. There was also an ever-present ringing in my ears.

"Isabella," My brother's voice was faint, as though he were far away. "Are you alright?"

With a slight frown, I turned my head trying to pinpoint where his voice was coming from. "Where are you? I cannot see you."

The warm skin of his hand covered my own as he took it, rubbing circles into my palm. "I am here, Isabella. What is happening?"

Suddenly, I felt different. Somewhat empty, I supposed. The feeling left me frightened, as it was not something I was used to. "Larry," I whispered. "We may need approval on that request to visit our parents."

"Why's that?" he questioned.

I felt my lips pull into another frown. "I believe I have just lost my powers."

Ahkmenrah's POV

My sister's words bounced around my mind. I wasn't understanding. Didn't she say she had just gained more powers? How could she lose them so soon? And why? I glanced worriedly up at Larry. "We have no choice now. My parents need to see her. Perhaps my father might be able to explain this."

Larry met my gaze, worry in his eyes. "McPhee doesn't know about any of this," he started. "What should I tell him?"

As I looked at my sister, glanced at her unusually pale skin, I frowned again as I squeezed her hand. "Tell him it is of great importance," I murmured. "If he still does not approve, we will have no choice but to tell him the truth."

Isabella's POV

Two days passed before Larry had an answer for us. Two very long, very agonizing days of blindness and horrible headaches. Ahkmenrah was ever present at my side, worried about my well-being. He had to guide me around the Museum every night, as he and I were both fearful I may trip on something and become injured further. 

"Ahkmenrah," I heard Larry say on the second night. "McPhee has agreed to let us see your parents. We leave in the morning, so that we'll be there by nightfall."

Though I couldn't see my brother's face, I knew he was overcome with relief and joy. "Thank you, Guardian of Brooklyn. I will owe you a great debt for many lifetimes to come." I felt his warm hand take my own, leading me slowly to his exhibit. "Come, Isabella. It is almost sunrise."

The next time I woke, I heard many strange things around me. There were unrecognizable voices talking somewhere to my left, and as I felt around the crate we had been placed into, I realized I was alone. 

"Ahkmenrah?" I attempted to call out. But there was no sound from my voice. Clearing my throat, I tried once more. "Ahkmenrah?" But still there was no sound to be heard from me. My fear and worry spiked dramatically, as I began to panic. With tight fists, I banged on the lid, suddenly feeling claustrophobic.

It felt like hours before the soothing sound of my brother's voice filled my ears. "Isabella," he whispered. "Relax, Isabella. I am here."

I could feel my face pull into a frown as helped me from the box. Placing a hand on his cheek, I tapped my throat, then my mouth before shaking my head. I hoped desperately he would understand. 

"Are you alright?" At my lack of reply, Ahkmenrah placed his hands on my arms. "Isabella? Can you speak?" All I could do was stand there helplessly as my brother grew even more worried. "Larry! We must go now. Isabella can no longer speak."

I could feel the breeze as we walked through the British Museum on my face. All I could think about was reaching my parents so Father could explain what was happening to me. Ahkmenrah held my hand the entire time. 

Suddenly, he stopped. "Isabella, we have arrived."

My heart almost leaped out of my chest at the feeling of being so close to my parents, even if I was unable to see them. I waited impatiently for the sound of their voices to reach my ears. With each passing second, I held my brother's hand, squeezing every once in a while. 

"Ahkmen?" 

Tears immediately filled my eyes at the sound of her voice. Mother was somewhere in the room before me. I felt a light squeeze on my hand before my brother let go, probably to embrace Mother. There was a moment of silence before I heard a gasp and Mother saying my name.

"Isabella?" 

My throat constricted painfully, knowing I couldn't greet her. "Brother," I murmured. "Where is Mother?"

"I am here, Isabella. Can you not see me?"

My brother's grip was warm and comforting against my hand. "That is what we have to come to tell you, Mother. Father," Ahkmenrah cut off then. After a moment, Ahkmenrah continued. "Mother, Father... Isabella is unable to speak. And she can no longer see."