Four

"We need to talk." Alex frowned as the two of us stood opposite each other outside the school gates.

"What's up?" I wasn't at all suspicious or worried; Alex and I were amazing.

We'd been dating for a while and sure, I wasn't in love with him just yet, but God did I like him. A lot. He made me smile and laugh when I was sad. He complimented me when I was feeling self conscious. He kissed me when I was feeling unloved. He was just Alex and he was flawless.

"I'm just going to come out and say it. I'm breaking up with you." He admitted.

I'm sorry, what? He didn't just say that, right? Clearly, I misheard.

"I don't think we're right for each other." He confessed.

Was he delusional? We were perfect for each other! Okay, so we didn't have similar interests but that didn't stop us from getting along great. Not to mention the amazing make out sessions we had. There was no way he believed that.

"I don't understand, what happened?" I was truly confused.

"I just...don't like you anymore." I could tell he was trying to soften the blow by his apologetic facial expression, but he was failing miserably.

"I'm not stupid, Alex. Tell me why, you at least owe me that." I was attempting to hold up my strong facade. It would be more than embarrassing if I just bursted into a puddle of tears, but that was exactly what I felt like doing.

"You really want to know?" He looked uneasy as he asked me this, indicating that whatever he was going to say next wouldn't be pleasant to hear.

"Yes." I half lied.

"You wouldn't have sex with me and this other girl offered and I said yes." He looked mildly ashamed. "And then I was at this party and these two girls wanted to do stuff and I was too drunk to say no..."

Ew. Oh my God, ew what the fuck?!

"Oh my gosh you actual whore!" I spat, gathering the attention of passerby's. "You dirty, cheating scumbag!"

I couldn't help but let the barricade in my eyes go down, allowing salty rivers of tears to stream down my face. How could he do that to me?

I thought he was my forever.

"Look, Charlie, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you. It just happened and-"

"It just happened?!" I snapped, not caring that I was getting an audience. "Your penis accidentally inserted itself into another girl's vagina?!"

"Yes! I mean no, I mean, shit." He sighed.

How could he do this to me? The Alex I knew was nothing like that. The boy who stood in front of me was now a stranger that I didn't want to know. I never wanted to associate myself with this despicable excuse for a human being ever again.

"Save it, Alex. I hope you get an STD and die!" I yelled, not really meaning what I said, but at the same time, I really fucking did.

"Don't be like this, Charlie." Alex's gentle eyes met my tear stained ones. Despite knowing all this, my heart still fluttered at the sight of his eyes. Just looking at him killed me inside.

Maybe I was in love with him...

But he didn't feel the same.

"I hate you." My voice lowered and I shook my head in disgust. "Bye, Alex."

And with that, I cut through the crowd surrounding us in a heap of despair. Tears encompassed my face as I walked in the opposite direction of school. There was no way I was going back there today. I needed to escape: to runaway.

"Charlotte!" An out of breath Nate ran up to me once I was halfway down the road.

Without even thinking, I fell into his arms and sobbed. His safe arms securely wrapped themselves around my waist and he hugged me closer as I cried into his chest.

"Shh, it's okay. I'm here." He kissed the top of my head. "You don't need him, I've got you."

I couldn't stop shaking and my heart was beating rapidly in my chest. It was impossible to stop the tears from flowing, I didn't know what to do.

"Just breathe. You hear my heart beat? Focus on that, okay?" Nate whispered.

I tried really hard to follow his advice but it was extremely difficult to do so with all these emotions and thoughts consuming me.

"What did I do wrong?" I sniffled into his chest. He smelt familiar and sweet, comforting me slightly. "What's wrong with me?"

"Nothing." He soothingly spoke. "You're perfect. He's an asshole for throwing someone as beautiful and amazing as you away."

Nate's words were so thoughtful and the way he spoke with so much certainty made me want cry even more. He genuinely believed what he was saying. But I didn't. I was just another stupid girl who wasn't meant for love. I was boring and that's why he strayed away.

"Thank you." I pulled away after a few moments feeling a bit more calm, and his face fell a little when he saw mine.

"You deserve so much more." He wiped away my tears with the sleeve of his hoodie.

It was only then when I saw that I was getting odd stares from passers by and other students walking to school.

"Ignore them." Nate spoke once he followed my line of vision. "Let's get you home."

I nodded in agreement. He was the best friend ever.