thirty seven

"Thanks so much, Dan," Phil said after the concert as the two sat on a bench outside of the venue.

Dan readjusted the black concert t-shirt that Phil bought for him prior to the concert that was slung over his shoulder. "I don't know who else I would have brung--"

"Thanks for that as well actually, but I meant for being my friend," Phil smiled. "You mean so much to me, Dan, and I don't think I can express how much through words."

Building up some bravery, Dan took Phil's free hand and intertwined their fingers.

Phil smiled at their fingers, then at Dan when he remembered something.

"Oh yeah! I got you something for your birthday."

Pulling the Galaxy backpack off his back and opening it, Phil pulled out two nicely wrapped boxes, and handed them to Dan.

"Phil, you didn't have to. You being here is enough," Dan eyed the presents.

"Open this one first," Phil pointed to the larger present, ignoring Dan's previous statement.

Sighing slightly at Phil's pressure, Dan unwrapped the gift to reveal a pink flower crown.

"It's really stupid, but it reminded me of you--"

"It's perfect," Dan gasped. "I've always wanted one." He placed the object on his head and smiled at Phil. "How does it look?"

Although slightly titled on his head and too dark to see all aspects of the item on display, Phil grinned. "Stunning. Open the next one!"

Dan fumbled with the small package in the palm of his hand. Cautiously tearing the paper and opening the lid, a necklace with the pendant as a lion and a flower beside it in silver met Dan's eyes.

"It's beautiful," Dan said, pulling it out of its case, admiring it from all angles.

"I just thought because of emojis, which is pretty stupid. If you want to return it--" Phil was cut off by Dan throwing his arms around the older boy, pulling him in closely.

"It's perfect Phil," Dan pulled away from the hug. "Can you put it on me?"

Phil nodded, taking the necklace shakily from Dan's hands and nearing his neck. Unhooking the chain and slipping it around Dan's neck, Phil could feel Dan's eyes on the top of his head.

Phil raised his head once the necklace was on, his eyes meeting Dan's and their noses centimeters apart.

(A/N: the line below is the same line i used in gaps, a oneshot i wrote, but shhh)
They would argue for years on about who kissed who first, yet in the moment the only thing important was that their lips were finally against each other's. That their minds traveled and time seemed irrelevant as their hands combed through each other's, knocking Dan's flower crown off.

They pulled away at the same time, their noses pressed together and the only noise besides strangers chatting nearby was their deep breaths.

"I love you," Phil whispered uneasily due to fear of rejection.

"I love you too," Dan replied, their lips meeting again.