CHAPTER FIVE

Even though she had often dreamed about one day meeting her mother, despite Meri being in her life for the last few weeks, Nixie had yet to come around to the idea that her mother was suddenly in the picture

Even though she had often dreamed about one day meeting her mother, despite Meri being in her life for the last few weeks, Nixie had yet to come around to the idea that her mother was suddenly in the picture. In fact, when Meri announced that she would be re-entering the waters again for a little bit, Nixie found herself relieved. Meri had been complaining about a persistent headache for the last couple of days and Henry urged her to return to the waters to have her feel better, although he looked physically pained at the idea of the two of them being separated again, even if they were only a short distance away from each other.

When Meri had been inside the household, thankfully wearing clothes after the initial incident, she tried so very hard to reach out to Nixie. Henry would leave for work, leaving the two of them alone in the house. Meri would ask Nixie all sorts of questions, asking about her likes and dislikes to try and get to know her daughter better. However, Nixie wasn't willing to give up much information, in fact, she would only give limited bits before excusing herself to her room.

It didn't help that everyone in the household was more than comfortable with Meri's presence, and by everyone, Nixie saw how much Henry and Bean appeared to be so happy to be around Meri.

"Come on, Nixie," she told herself one afternoon as she remained hidden away in her bedroom staring into her mirror, "you of all people wanted her to come home. You asked about her all the time, she's here now. So, just accept that! It's not that hard. So what if she's a mermaid? Could have been worse, she could have been a hippogriff, right? Imagine what you would have looked like then. Not to mention, Dad is incredibly happy and so is Bean. Everyone is happy except you."

After her short pep talk, Nixie decided that she was going to venture to the waters and try to spend some quality time with Meri, in hopes they could mend the strained relationship between them. Even though she hadn't seen her tail in quite some time, she had plenty of questions regarding her Seavish lineage and who better to ask than a mermaid herself? Opening the door, Nixie was about to step out of her room when she heard the arrival of two people in her home.

Immediately, Nixie froze in place as she heard Bean bark for a moment but then he stopped. She tiptoed out of her bedroom and made her way to the top of the stairs, only to hear the voices of her grandparents.

"Henry?!" Her grandfather called out in a loud booming voice. "Henry?! Are you home? Nixie? Nixie?!"

Not wishing to really see or spend time with her grandparents, Nixie took a few steps back to remain hidden. She figured they would just leave, assuming that Henry was at work and probably took Nixie with him. However, they didn't leave right away as she hoped, leaving Nixie to listen to her grandmother let out a heavy sigh.

"Well, at least that thing isn't in the home," she said, there was a sharp emphasis on the way she said 'thing' leaving Nixie to feel incredibly uncomfortable as she quickly figured out who her grandmother was referring to. "I can't believe she's back! Just when I thought we were in the clear with Nixie receiving her Hogwarts letter. Damn near fainted when I found out she could go. It would have been for the best to just pretend that she was just a witch!"