Chapter 13 - Pearl discovery

Start from the beginning

"She has the Pearl of Antoinette."

"No!" She gasped.

"I sensed it the moment she approached us earlier. She has another buyer lined up. I fear it is Cerise." He admitted reluctantly.

"Why can't she leave us alone?" Millie went stiff, as she thought of his sister.

"She will be powerless all too soon. She is trying to thwart any attempt that I have at keeping you."

"But... is she even allowed to try that?" She asked in distress.

"No, but she is a grey shell. Trying to guess what she may do next is impossible." His eyes turned sad.

"Well, we had better go, and get the pearl off my sister. Put me down, Duane." She ordered and he obliged.

She stared at the ground in amazement. Sapphires and rubies littered the area, creating a sparkling rainbow amongst the pure white snow. She realised how much she had upset him with her constant rejection, and felt terrible for her behaviour.

"I thought you said that dragon tears are rubies," she said, as she held up a deep blue sapphire.

"They are. Sad tears are rubies, while more joyful tears become sapphires," he told her, and she smiled in relief.

The sapphires far outnumbered the rubies, and for that, she was glad. She didn't want him dwelling in sadness. She felt relieved that his happiness had outweighed the rejection that she had constantly shoved at him.

"Duane?" She looked up at him, regretful for the way that she had treated him.

"Yes, Camille."

"I'm sorry that I acted the way I did. I didn't listen to you properly, and I only heard the negative side of the words you said." She admitted, as she collected a brilliant ruby.

"Did you know that a dragon treasures rubies, simply because of the emotional toll they take on us?" Duane enquired, as he also examined one of the rubies.

"I've been really stupid." She shook her head, feeling her throat tighten.

"Camille," he gently tipped her chin up with one of those sharp looking talons. "Perhaps, this was the way things were meant to be. I could not have cried over some simple matter. This needed to be a highly emotional situation. We must have these for your sister, so we can retrieve the pearl."

"You just said that dragons treasure rubies."

"I treasure my mate more." He insisted, making her smile.

"That's nice to know." She told him, as she gathered up a few more gems.n"Duane, how are we going to carry all these?"

"With this, of course." He once again seemed amused, as he held out his claw.

"Naturally," she let out a titter of laughter. "But how do we get them into the house?"

"Ah, always the logical one." He tapped a talon on his chin in thought, creating an interesting image as a dragon.

"So?"

"Place them here, and I will think as we fly back."

She continued her search through the snow for all of the fallen gems, finding more than she had expected. In no way did it fill Duane's claw, making the pile seem miniscule. She began to wonder if this amount would be enough. She had no idea what Cerise may offer instead.

"We shall head back," he offered his other claw to her.

"Thank you." She said as she stepped onto his palm and sat down.