Chapter 8 - Dragon truths

© Sandra Corton 2015

Chapter 8 - Dragon truths

Millie stood in the group of strangers, hoping that she appeared brave. She had no idea if she was pulling it off or not. Why this family towered over her, including the women, she had no idea.

She felt threatened, insecure and filled with doubt. She knew she shouldn't have come here. Why hadn't Duane left her alone? She would rather be in his odd cave than feeling intimidated the way she was.

She felt the weight of one stare in particular that was terrifying to behold. Cerise had barely moved her gaze away from Millie since they had arrived. Millie didn't like it but she refused to lower her eyes.

"Take your places." Dalton stated.

There was a shuffling movement amongst the group. Kevina was the only one that came to stand next to Duane. The others separated into a group by themselves and ones that stood by Cerise. Millie noticed that the group alone had the most members.

"You are making the wrong choice today, Weldon." Kevina growled and the man with the blue hair flinched.

"Hush Kevina, he has made his choice." Dalton said gravely.

"What do I do?" Millie whispered to Duane.

"Ah young Millie, I am sorry to have to welcome you here under such a trying situation," Dalton said to her before Duane could say anything. "I am Dalton, Duane's father." He smiled at Millie as he offered his hand.

Everyone fell silent and stared at the older man. The moment Millie shook his hand, the chattering in the room became deafening. The man continued to smile with a warmth in his gold eyes, which Millie found encouraging.

"Hello Dalton." Millie replied while trying to ignore the attention she was receiving.

"Stay close to Duane and you shall be fine." He leaned down to tell her quietly, which she acknowledged with a slight nod.

Millie looked to Duane, who was busy glaring at Cerise. When his golden eyes turned to her, he softened the slightest bit. His expression stayed granite hard as he gestured for her to come back to him.

"Step forward, the accused and the accuser." Dalton demanded.

"Come with me."

Duane waved Millie forward at the same time that Cerise moved. She stiffened and stared at the innocent expression on Cerise's face. How could she look as though she was the one suffering? That woman wanted her dead. Her face may have looked serene but her eyes showed dark loathing and hatred.

"Cerise Drakon, as the accused, what do you say?" Dalton turned a look to his daughter.

"I had no idea who this pitiful human was in relation to anything." Cerise said in a sweet voice.

Millie felt her jaw drop open at Cerise's instant denial. She couldn't say anything for the bitter taste of fear engulfing her. How many people in this room would believe Cerise? After all, they were family and Millie was the outsider here.

"You are such a liar!" Kevina shouted out but Dalton quickly hushed her.

"Duane Drakon, as the accuser, what do you say?" Dalton looked to his son who stepped forward with Millie in tow.

"Camille Anderson was sent an invitation to see me. I never sent any such invitation, nor would I at this stage." Duane sounded calm but his face showed immense fury.

"Cerise, did you send an invitation to Camille Anderson?" Dalton asked outright.

"It could have been addressed to any human." Cerise continued her innocence as she stood demurely and fluttered her eyelashes.