Chapter 17 // Gone

The kiss wasn't something special, it wasn't magical and it didn't make my heart beat fast. It was awkward and once our lips touched, our minds weren't made up as to where we go next. It wasn't the spontaneous kiss you watch in romance movies or read in Nick Sparks' novels.

To be honest, I barely felt the kiss at all. But even still, I couldn't stop the corners of my lips from curving up into a sly smile. I couldn't stop myself from slightly biting my bottom lip and getting lost in his eyes. I didn't care if I never found my way out.

He was grinning ear to ear, still focused on my lips. "Sorry, I just-"

"Don't worry about it." I assured him that I didn't mind.

I really didn't. Sometimes, a hug or a kiss, a loving gesture, is all a person really needs.

He flashed his pearly white teeth back at me, and reached for my hand. "Hey, Kim, don't worry, okay? We'll get through all of this, I promise. If I learned one thing over the years, it's that strong people, strong people like you and I..." He looked into the distance, seemingly confused. "We can get through anything."

I nodded at him and embraced him tightly, feeling his heart beat pounding against my own chest. His warmth soothed my body, suffering from the bitter cold.

Suddenly, thoughts of him swamped my brain and I quickly hopped to my feet and looked towards the house behind me. Mattaeus sprang up from the bench, almost simutaneously with me. He must have had the same thought, because as soon as he took a step he whispered, "Reid!"

He took my hand and we sped towards the house and gently pulled open the wooden door. It let out a high-pitched squeak and we stepped through the doorframe.

"Reid?" Mattaeus called out into the beat-down foyer. There was no answer.

We continued to snake through the hallway and between piles of boxes and other assorted items. We eventually appeared in what I assumed was the kitchen. A large, mahogany table flipped over; chairs broken and scattered about on the deteriorating white tile floor.

The room smelt of spoiled food, and an open refrigerator was backed up to the wall. Cupboards and drawers were open, their contents strewn out on the ground. Everything was broken, including my spirits, from the minute I stepped through the weary doorframe.

"Oh my god..." I heard Mattaeus's voice from around the corner, followed by a deafening crash. "Kim! Come here!"

I retraced my steps back down the long hallway, glancing quickly in bedrooms lined with chipping paint, desperately hoping to find him.

"Quickly, quickly!" His screams were urgent. My heart raced. Another crash.

"Matt? Matt where are you?!" I screamed to the walls; I felt my words bounce back at me.

Suddenly, a door flew open. "Kim?" I felt his hand wrap tightly around my wrist and he reeled me into the dark room.

I felt a sharp splinter thrust itself through my shoe and into my foot. "Shit." My eyes were slowly adjusting to the dark and I saw his face. It was pained and for the first time, I saw fear in his eyes. "Mattaeus what's going on?"

"I've got her." He whispered faintly under his breath, I could barely make out the words.

My mouth hung slightly open and my eyes widened. "Who are you talking to? You've got who?" He just shook his head and led me quickly down into the dimly lit basement. "Matt! Are we safe?" He didn't answer me. "Are we?!" I screamed into his face, desperate to know what was going on.

We reached the bottom of the creaky wood steps, and my beat-down tennis-shoes stepped on the cold, cement floor. He looked at me intensely. "Wait here." He removed the death grip from my wrist and began to walk away.

"Matt, am I safe?" I whimpered, following his every move.

"Wait here." His voice was stern, and for the first time I was frightened by him. I never before realized the sick way he towered over me. He could destroy me in an instant. He could break my bones with his own bare hands. But he never would...he never would. I knew he never would.

...Would he?

I raised my voice, angry with his lack of sensible responses. "MATTAEUS! Am I safe?

"No, Kim! God damnit, no. You're not safe. You never were."

The sinking feeling in my chest increased, as did my heartbeat. I breathed hard and heavy, watching him sprint quickly up the stairs and slam the door.

Crack...crack.

I couldn't react before the ceiling caved in. My surroundings became gravel and wreckage, and I held my breath. I held my breath for a long time, until I had to gasp for air. I breathed in nothing but dust, and I choked on it.

I used my hands to feel around, and eventually they poked through the pile of debris that covered me. I pushed my head through and glanced around...only to realize that the whole house had fallen above me. I looked towards the driveway, expecting to see the pickup truck waiting patiently for me.

It was gone. Ricky was laying lifeless on the ground, over him was James. Everything else was...gone.