Chapter 9

(POV Lucy)

I trailed behind Caehir and Hyisan as we walked down the long halls and up the many sets of tall stairs to the top of the castle.  We were heading to the monastery where The Fates resided.  It was by far the largest section of the castle's many joined buildings and sat at the very top of the mountain.  I looked up through the open archways that seemed to line every hall, and caught a glimpse of the magnificent building.  It jutted out from the side of the mountain and was precariously suspended over the open air by thick beams along the bottom.  Falling out of the bottom of the building was a thick stream of water that dropped all the way down to the large chasm below. 

A gust of wind blew over us as we crossed an open bridge that spanned the length of two tall towers.  I pulled the cloak further around my shoulders to keep warm.  Before making our way to the monastery, Caehir had me change into some more appropriate clothes.  I now had a long, flowing dress made of a beautiful pale gold that shimmered to white with every step I took.  The high collar clasped around my neck and left a good portion of my back bare.  The cloak I wore was the same bright orange as Caehir and Hyisan's shirt, though it was made of a much softer fabric. 

Caehir opened a tall door at the end of the bridge and we made our way up a spiral staircase.  I glanced down the halls that branched off on either side every few levels.  A shiver ran down my spine as I realized I had yet to see another person.  We'd passed a few more Sterlings on our way, all with pure white skin and long purple hair, but no humans.

I cleared my throat and moved a little closer to Caehir.  "Um...Caehir?  I was wondering, where is everyone?"

He turned and smiled down at me.  "I'm afraid you've caught us on one our busier days Lucy.  All the monks who live here have left to various parts of the island to cleanse the Mountain."  He sighed, "Shame you woke up today.  The men were all looking forward to meeting you."

I frowned.  "Just how long was I asleep?"

"Two days."

I nearly tripped over my dress.  "Two days!  How was I asleep for two days?"

Caehir rubbed the back of his neck looking a little embarrassed.  "That's my fault really.  Due to unforeseen...events I was forced to give you two dosages of the sleep tonic."

I halted.  "So that's how you got me here?  You drugged  me?"

"How else did you think you got here Knees?"  I glared at Hyisan who was several steps higher than me.  He smirked, "It's not like you walked in here."

I frowned.  Really I wasn't sure what I'd thought.  Between learning that I was supposed to be the next Celestial Priestess and just waking up in a place that was so wonderfully familiar I hadn't had time to question how I'd gotten here.  Perhaps a part of me hoped this was all just a dream...

"I don't understand.  Why not just ask me to go with you?"

Caehir raised and eyebrow at me.  "Would you have come if you knew your fate?"

I looked away, not wanting to admit the answer.  I wanted to believe I was stronger than that, but maybe I wasn't.

"We have our reasons," Caehir continued.  "With all that must be explained to you we cannot allow just anyone to possibly overhear us.  Bringing you to the Mountain was the safest thing for all of us.  Our secrets will remain secure and if you chose against your fate you wont have any enemies because of it."

My head snapped up.  "I can chose to not be the Celestial Priestess?"  It almost seemed to good to be true.

Caehir motioned for us to keep walking, following Hyisan who was already at the top.  "It has been done before," was all he said, and by the way he turned away from me I knew that was all he'd tell me.