Chapter 11

(POV Lucy)

"Are you sure this will work?" I asked Hyisan. We were in the highest tower in the west wing of the castle where the aviary was located. The colorful birds I had seen flying above the chasm sat on perches and came and went from the open arches that lined the tower. I eyed the particularly large bird that sat in front of me with open caution. I couldn't be sure but I swore the thing was glaring at me.

"Ah. It's fine. Just give him the letter and he'll take it where it needs to go."

Still I hesitated. Despite the bird's beautiful rainbow colored feathers and mane the thing looked like it wanted to bite my head off, which it was very well capable of doing seeing as it's shoulder was as tall as my head!

Hyisan sighed. "Really Knees, it's fine. This is our best hawk and he's fully capable of sending your letter to Fairy Tail. I don't know what you're so afraid of."

"I am not afraid!" I snapped and took a small step back when the large bird shook its thick mane. Really. Who heard of a giant hawk with the mane of a lion?! "I-I just don't see how this will work. I mean I thought only the monks could leave the island."

Hyisan shrugged. "For whatever reason these birds can teleport too. Father thinks all the animals that live here can, but we don't know how or why." His bright green-gold eyes flashed at me and his usual smirk was back. "Best not to think too much on the details in this Mountain, Knees. It'll drive you crazy."

I huffed and looked back at the menacing hawk. After speaking with The Fates for a while I learned that there was a certain ritual that needed to take place for me to form a contract with Iluska and fully posses her key. The ritual could only be done at night, when the moon was highest in the sky, so I had the whole day free.

Caehir suggested Hyisan give me a tour of the castle and go over certain rules and expectations I'd have to adhere to while living here. That was fine but I insisted I send word back to Fairy Tail first. They needed to know what had happened to me and that I was alright. For all I knew they thought I was dead.

Caehir seemed reluctant for me send word at all. He'd said it was too risky as there was always the possibility an enemy could intercept the letter and would know where I was. Being the Celestial Priestess meant I would have many powerful enemies, and the Chieftain was certain that whoever would release Erebus had many spies and soldiers at his disposal.

It was only after Hyisan mentioned how much of a commotion Fairy Tail would cause at the sudden disappearance of one of their members that I was allowed to write a letter explaining that I was safe and for them not to worry. So long as I didn't give out any specific details it was alright.

I'd made two letters after nearly an hour writing. The first was to Master and the guild, telling them that I was safe and had to deal with some personal matters for a while. I told them I wouldn't be able to write too often but that I promised to come home as soon as I could. I hoped it would be enough for them not to worry. Hopefully Master would understand and keep everyone in line. Namely two idiots who were probably breaking down every door in Fiore this second.

I glanced down at the second letter. The one I'd written for just Natsu and Happy. It wasn't very long, not even half as long as the letter to the guild, only a few sentences. I'm safe and you don't need to worry. I'll be home soon. I promise. That was all I managed to write after sitting at a desk for almost an hour. It wasn't nearly as much as I wanted to say, but it was all I could do given the restraints I'd had to follow.

I took a deep breath and held out the letters to the bird. "Please. Take these to Fairy Tail in Magnolia." The bird regarded the letters with a look of borderline disgust before gently plucking them from my hands and holding them in its thick, powerful beak. I smiled, "Thank you."