Chapter 2

(POV Lucy)

I poured the tea into three cups, one for each of the two men and one for myself, as we sat at one of the tables in the guild hall. Most of the other members left us alone and were back to talking or drinking at the other tables, though I noticed it had gotten a bit quieter now. The old man carefully took a sip of his tea, closing his eyes like he was testing its flavor. After a moment he nodded satisfied. The other man didn't make any move to take his cup. He just kept his head bowed as he stood behind the old man, like some sort of body guard.

I took a small sip of my tea, eyeing the old man over my cup. "You never did tell me your name," I said.

"Ah, so I didn't. Well, I have many names Lady Lucy. Sephtis, Non, Arkin, Javid, Akal, Father of Time, the Timekeeper, Timeless One, and many others in languages that no longer exist and many that have yet to come." He smiled, "But you may call me whatever you like."

'People call him Father of Time?' I wondered. I frowned. "I can't just choose a name for you."

He chuckled. "Very well my Lady." He tapped his now empty cup and I quickly poured him some more tea. "Let's see...I have always been partial to the name Goma. I find it rolls off the tongue very well."

"What about him?" I pointed to the man still standing behind Goma.

"Ah, he doesn't have a name. Sterling's never do. It makes them harder to control. The more self-awareness, the more willpower and the harder it is to keep them in line." Goma raised a bushy eyebrow at me. "Honestly my Lady I'm a bit shocked you didn't know what he was right away. Celestial Mage's created Sterling's you know."

I blinked at him. No I did not know that. I didn't even know what a Sterling was. I lowered my eyes, "I had no idea..."

"Ah, I see. Well, Sterling's are tools that can only be created by a Celestial wizard. They can take on any form their creator wants them too, from a simple staff to a human like figure, though the more complex their appearance is the more magic power is needed from their creator. They are bound to that creator and will follow only them. They are made of only two elements. Magic power from their creator and stardust, hence the reason only a Celestial wizard can create them."

I frowned. "You'd call him a tool but you won't give him a name?"

"It's what he is. A tool that I created. You only think he should have a name because I gave him a human face, but I assure you he is not living. You wouldn't name a hammer would you? Why should a Sterling be any different just because they can look like something alive?"

I still didn't think it was right to refer to the Sterling as tool. He may not have been alive but there was something about him that made me think he was aware of his surroundings, if only a little. It may have just been my imagination but I had a feeling this Sterling wasn't just some empty shell like Goma described.

I looked back at the old man. "Does he talk?"

Goma shook his head and tapped his cup again which I quickly refilled. I guess he liked my tea.

"If he doesn't have a name and he doesn't talk how do you get him to do what you want?" I asked.

"It is my will that controls him. As it is my magic that created him I have no need to speak to him to give a command. I must simply think it and he will do as instructed." Goma smiled. "Sometimes, if I'm not careful, I'll find I have unconsciously given him an order." He chuckled. "Yes, I have gotten myself into some pretty awkward situations by not keeping my thoughts in check."