He reaches for Pete's hand.

"It's really beautiful." Mikey murmurs. "I should stay up more often."

"Or you could just wake up early." Pete says. He's smiling. "Maybe even make the coffee."

"Stupid."

"Very." Pete agrees, then stands up again. Mikey's afraid he's about to leave, but he offers his hand, again. "May I have this dance, m'lady?"

Mikey grins. He can't help it. "We're on a rooftop. What if we fall off?"

"Live a little, Mikeyway. C'mon, I'll spin for you."

"Spin?"

"Yeah, like your favorite records used to."

Mikey takes his hand. He rests the other one on Pete's hip, and Pete puts his hand on Mikey's shoulder. They take tentative steps, careful not to step too close to the edge. Mikey spins Pete slowly, and Pete just beams at him.

"You're blinding me." Mikey mutters.

"What?"

"You're fucking smile, stupid. It's too bright."

Pete gives a breathy laugh and puts his arm around Mikey's neck, pulling him down. For a moment, Mikey thinks he'll kiss him, but Pete just presses their foreheads together.

"I think..." Pete pauses for a moment, like he's thinking for the right words to say. Finally, he takes a deep breath. "I just... I think about you, and.... Uh...."

"I have something to say." Mikey says quietly. God, he wants Pete to keep talking forever and ever, but if he waits any longer to tell him, his heart might burst. Pete is silent, so he assumes that's an invitation for him to keep going. "I actually... Um, I actually really like you. Like, a lot."

Nothing happens for a moment, and even though Mikey's told the truth, it's not enough. So he doesn't stop. "What I mean by that is, uh... you know what? How about a story." What is he even doing? Dear god, Mikey, Pete looks confused, but he doesn't stop him. "When I was thirteen, I was like, really, really unpopular. And this guy, Bryce Peterson, he refused to pick me for dodgeball, in like, sixth or seventh grade, even though I was last. All the kids made fun of me. And then the next class, the kids were whispering about how I was going to be picked last, when this hero came up." Mikey clears his throat.

"A hero?" Pete says. He has a shy smile.

"Yeah. A skinny, short kid with a squeaky voice. My own super hero." Pete's smile encourages Mikey to keep going. "And he chose me first. And when the other kids asked why, he said.... He said...."

"The little super hero said, 'Because he is great, even if none of you see it.'" Pete finishes. Mikey falters for a moment, because Pete remembers.

"Yeah." Mikey nods. "That's exactly what he said. And then... And then the little superhero grew up. And he protected kids who couldn't protect himself. Like the teacher who threatened Aaron when they found out 'Aaron' was born 'Anna'-"

"Mr. Rupert was a dick." Pete mutters under his breath.

"Or how the super hero punched that guy in the face for shoving Patrick into the lockers..."

"I always hated Keegan."

"Or how he helped me, a silly little boy who adored him with everything he had, just because he could." Mikey takes a deep breath. "And I always liked the superhero. I always liked you, Pete. And almost everyone else does too. Even if you don't see it, even when people try to hurt you. And I... I..."

"Mikey." Pete murmurs. He holds both of Mikey's hands now, and is staring at his eyes, only centimeters away. "Mikey, what my dad... what he did..."

"What he did was wrong." Mikey says. He closes his eyes, thinking about how much he wanted to throw up when Pete was in the hospital. How he hated it when Pete said he was selfish. How he wanted to befriend Pete when he was 13, how he fell in love with Pete before he knew he was gay.

Mikey never really had a choice in the matter, but if he did get to choose who he loved, he would choose Pete without hesitation, every single time.

Mikey opens his eyes, watching Pete carefully. "I'll be empty when you go, but... I just wanted you to know that the world is ugly. But you're beautiful to me. And I'm always thinking of you."

Pete drops Mikey's hands like they're hot coals. Mikey doesn't have time to wonder if he fucked up, though, because Pete just takes his face in his hands and kisses him swiftly, quickly, only moving away for air.

Mikey wraps his arms around Pete's waist and kisses back. This is better than the hospital, better than the fake holding hands, better than everything before. The sun rises higher and higher and Mikey's probably missing a beautiful sky, but fuck that because even sunsets are dull in comparison to Pete.

When they break apart for air, Pete clutches his hand and says, "I want to scream I love you from the top of my lungs. But I'm afraid that someone might here me, and I don't want to explain that to Patrick's neighbors. But just so you know, Mikeyway, as soon as I can, I will come back for you. I promise."

Mikey starts crying. He nods, but the idea of Pete still loving him after several years of being apart is too stupid, It's dumb to pretend or even think about, but Mikey just nods.

"I love you." Mikey mumbles. Pete kisses him in reply.

They fall asleep holding hands. Mikey doesn't ever let go.

When he wakes up the next morning, Pete is gone. All he leaves behind is his new phone number and a little sharpie note written on Mikey's arm.