Chapter 16

So, turned out that the prize for first place included a trip for two to Rome. Guess who came along with me? Of course it was Stefon. He and I were quite inseparable by now, I liked to think.

It was a beautiful city, but right now it was snowing a blizzard, and we were cooped inside. We had been outside building a fort, because I had wanted to have a snowball fight, but Stefon made us go back inside when I started sneezing and the snow became heavier. Wet blanket. I had pleaded and pouted, but Stefon was insistent, and even carried me over his shoulder back inside when I had parked my butt on the ground and refused to budge. I had still managed to throw a snow ball down his back though, boy was that look on his face at that moment funny.

I was curled into a ball on the bed now, where Stefon had tucked me in. Stefon was in the kitchen now, doing puff knows what. I was so bored. I blew a piece of hair off my forehead, trying to entertain myself. I was really getting into it, now trying to blow at a piece that was really hard to reach, twisting my mouth in a weird angle, when I heard a chuckle.

Stefon was leaning on the door, holding two mugs and looking bemused. My cheeks immediately flushed. “Haven’t you ever heard of knocking? It’s rude, you know, to stare.” I huffed, crossing my arms and rolling onto the other side with my back facing Stefon. That was wayyy embarrassing.

“Hey, I did knock, you just didn’t hear it.” Stefon protested, walking in and setting one of the mugs down. “Come on, I made hot chocolate for you.” My eyes lit up, and I quickly sat up, grabbing the mug from his hands. Yayy, I love hot chocolate! I took a sniff, barely containing the goofy smile that was spreading across my face.

Stefon settled in beside me, taking the mug away when I was done. Then he said, “Hey you’ve got something on your lips.” Oh, really? I reached up to wipe it away, but Stefon intertwined his fingers through mine and held them down, whispering, “No, let me.” Then, he leaned down and pressed me into the bed, locking his lips to mine. He probed his tongue through the side of my mouth gently, then traced it slowly through the insides of my mouth, making a moan escape through my lips.

Then he planted kisses along my jaw to my earlobe, nibbling it for a while, before resting his warm lips on my ear, his hot breath sending chills to my spine. “I love you, January.” He murmured. “I love how you smell like strawberries, how you’re so childish, that I have to protect you, how you look so adorable in my parka, how you have such a cute sneeze, how you always blush, how you’re so real, and genuine. You’re the only one that I shared the song with, January Costello, and you sang it better than I ever could that night. I know you’re the one, I really love you.”

My heart swelled, and I had so many things to say back to Stefon. How I loved his protectiveness, his humor, his care to me, his thoughtfulness, his sincerity. But I knew I didn’t have to say any of these, because Stefon already knew, those four words that were pulsing through my heart.

I love you too.