Chapter 14

“And now, let us be blown away by our 30 very amazing contestants!” The emcee announced the opening number, cuing in the music. I make it back just in the nick of time, slipping myself beside Karinne on the stage. She threw me a relieved glance, visibly relaxing a bit. Stacy had a smug look on her face, but looked like she had seen a ghost when she saw me, but narrowed her eyes menacingly and quickly looked away.

The curtains drew up in a dramatic flourish, and all of us immediately sprung into our poses. I threw myself into the groove, casting all my doubts away, living the music. Every turn, every step just fell into place, like it was natural. I caught side of my mum and Amber halfway through the routine, and even threw them a cocky wink.

And then it all ended where it began. Center stage. Stacy McMillan, you had better watch out, because it was game on.

***

Introductions, spring wear and summer wear passed by in a flash. I made sure to throw on my cheerful, genuine grin, making eye contact with the judges, and I think I did pretty well. The outfits were of course, fantabulous, they complemented me the way they should, and I really had Marco to thank.

Everything was going great, till the talent segment. Out of nervousness, I fumbled on the chords once or twice, making an ear piercing, screeching sound that blasted through the speakers. I tried to brush it aside, but when I opened my mouth to sing, my voice came out scratchy and hoarse, and I think it even cracked at one point.

I was in major panic mode, the ballroom had gone silent, and everyone was staring at me awkwardly. My head spun, I didn’t know what to do! But then I caught side of Stefon standing at the back corner of the room, and he was looking straight into my eyes, mouthing some words. I believe in you.

And it was all I needed. I cradled the guitar, closing my eyes and just letting all my emotions overwhelm me. They took control, and I sang. Everything was perfect. When I hit the last note, I finally opened my eyes, and everyone was clapping, but I only had eyes for Stefon. He had an unreadable expression on his face, but I could tell, that he was proud of me. I took a bow, then went backstage.

Stacy was smirking and clapping her hands slowly when I went backstage. “You know something? I was so worried when you showed up. Because I thought you were a threat to my first place ride, but I totally overestimated you. Guess I wasted all my efforts ripping up your wool sweater, huh?” She cackled, and then stalked away.

Wool sweater? I know what she was talking about! The one that I was supposed to wear for my winter wear component! I shook my head, man, that girl sure was vicious. But then, an idea lit up inside of me. Of course! That would be even more perfect!

I waited till the autumn wear segment was over, before sprinting madly to my hotel room. I had some time left before it was my turn. Then I grabbed something out my bag, then raced back.

The look on Stacy’s face was priceless when she saw what I was wearing. My grey V-necked cashmere sweater. Yep, the exact same one I was wearing when I rejected Stacy. I had never even considered it before, but it suited the ethereal look that Marco and I were going for even more than the one Stacy had destroyed.

Needless to say, the judges were stunned. Well, at least I hope they were, because Stacy certainly was for the rest of the night.

***

“Now, let us welcome back our extraordinary contestants to perform for us one last time! Contestants, the stage is yours!” Everyone filed neatly onto the stage, moving in beat to the tempo of the catchy track. I danced my heart and soul out, and did my solo with such energy that I had never before. No regrets.

The beat dropped to a close, signaling it was time for the crowning of the winner. My heart pounded with such intensity, I was so nervous. Right now, I wasn’t even sure if I would place. Sure, the other components had gone well, but what about the talent segment? I crossed my fingers and prayed that I would make it.

“Now, I’m going to call out the names of the five finalists. Please step forward when you hear your name.” I promise, it was so silent in the ballroom that if a pin dropped, you would have been able to hear it. Cliché I know, but trust me on this one. “Georgia Marie.” My heart seized. Some girl squealed and took her place beside the emcee.

“Stacy McMillan.” Stacy smirked, pasting on a disgustingly sweet smile, blowing kisses to the crowd. Blegh. Karinne squeezed my hand tight, and I patted her reassuringly. Karinne had been fantastic throughout the whole pageant, I was so sure she was going to get a spot.

“Karinne Abell.” Karinne’s face flushed with happiness, and she stepped forward gracefully, but not before whispering “You’re next.” to me. I chewed on my lip, hoping with all my might that the emcee would call me next. “Casey Abrams.” I had pretty much lost all hope already, when the girl next to me nudged me.

“January Costello?” The emcee repeated, arching an eyebrow at me. Oh. My. Puff!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had gotten to the top five! I could hardly contain my excitement, and all I wanted to do was to run around the whole ballroom screaming like a lunatic. I practically bounded to the front, then grinned awkwardly when I realized how embarrassing that was. The audience chuckled goodheartedly.

Now this was the more important moment. Knowing whether I had done well enough to beat Stacy or not. We eyed each other, knowing that it was either her or me. “And in fourth place we have… Casey Abrams!” The crowd whooped and clapped, and Casey stepped forward gratefully to receive her flowers.

“In third place we have… Georgia Marie!” I could barely wait any longer, wishing the emcee would just hurry up already. “In second place we have… Karinne Abell!” Karinne looked shocked, her eyes widening as she stepped forward. I was so happy for her, she was amazing, and she totally deserved it. Just that now, either I was first, or fifth.

Stacy seemed to have registered that as well, but she held on to her confident smile. Oh puff! I think my lip has started to bleed! I must have bit it too hard. Sorry, but I was nervous!

“And finally… We are down to two contestants… And in first place we have…"