Chapter 21: Re-establishmentarianism

Start from the beginning

Dave smiled. "Do you like the book?"

The polite thing to say was probably 'Yes, thank you very much' but I didn't think of that. The less polite (but possibly still okay) thing to say might have been 'Oh gosh, you're up early. Please excuse the rattiness of my hair and the un-brush-ed-ness of my teeth.' Perhaps the least polite thing to say was, "Ack! Dave!" while slamming the door in his face. Which is, of course, the option I chose.

As soon as my panic subsided, I poked my head out the door. Alas, where Dave once stood there was only a box. It was a pretty box though, all wrapped in paper that featured guitars (which reminded me somewhat of boxer shorts/which made me blush/and caused me to be a tiny bit reluctant to find out what was inside).

I shouldn't have worried. It was just the pink, sequined tube top from the thrift store. I guess he figured I'd get more use out of it than he would. 

Once I finished cleaning the pantry and found my phone, I spent the rest of the day thinking of ways to repair the Secret Plan. Really, it was the only logical course of action if any of us were to see Happily Ever After again. Oh, and I hung out with Brady, Jacob and Madison for a little bit too. By the time I came home that night, I'd decided to call for back up. I texted Craig.

me: I've been thinking ...

craig: Don the safety gear!

me: What?

craig: Summer + Thinking = A Natural Disaster

me: Thanks. I <3 you too.

craig: So you thought ...

me: I thought we should come up with another way to get Dave and Madison together.

craig: Or not.

craig: BTW, that was Dave. He's sleeping over.

I felt a gulp rise in my throat.

craig: Summer?

Oh geeze.

craig: You there?

Oh crap.

craig: HEY! YOU!

me: About that Secret Plan ...

craig: :/

me: Is this Dave? If it is, there is no reason you can't gird up your loins and keep going.

craig: I can think of a reason.

I could think of a reason too -- but it would behoove me not to go there. I already had a boyfriend. A boyfriend who was cute and nice and in every way exactly what I wanted. He was. Really.

craig: What are you talking about?

me: The Secret Plan, of course.

The next time my phone pinged, it was Dave.

dave: Which is no longer an option, right?

craig: Do I need to learn some special handshake before you guys will tell me what's going on?

me (to Craig and Dave) (It's a good thing I'm so great at multitasking): No special handshake. Because. There. Is. Nothing. Going. On.

dave: nothing?

me: nada.

dave: zip?

me: zilch. zero.

dave: So the other night was ...?

So the other night was the first time in a long time that my head and my heart and my whole being felt like it worked together. But I couldn't say that. Especially not to Dave.

me: So the other night was when MY BOYFRIEND brought over a pirate movie. You remember pirates, don't you?

dave: yeah. right. pirates.

craig: wtf is going on?

me: So anyway, I was thinking ...

craig: Oh god, here we go again!

It wasn't easy, but in the end: One Secret Plan = Re-established.

<3