Chapter 14- You Give Me Strength

Start from the beginning

                “And I told you I’d be your strength whenever,” Aiden finishes with a smile mimicking mine as I remember our ten year old selves. “I still stand by my words,” he says.

                “I can see that,” I retort.

                “But there’s one thing I don’t remember, you never said that your sister died and it was part of why you were crying,” he recalls. With this I lean against the headboard of the bed next to him as I explain everything one again but this time because I think I may actually trust Aiden not just to shut him up. He sits there and listens to the whole story saying nothing, his eyes speaking for him as a flurry of emotions flash through them.

                “How could someone be so cruel?” he asks as I finish retelling everything with only one tear escaping which he wipes.

                “He’s a sociopath,” I explain.

                “Not just him, your sister’s death was not your fault no matter what you want to think. Your parents shouldn’t have shut you out like that and let you carry that weight on your shoulders,” his words surprise me as he does not seem disgusted by my story.

                “You don’t think it’s my fault?” I question incredulously.

                “Why would I think that, you didn’t kill her,” he explains and I hug him once again but this time for proving me wrong about people because I’ve grown accustomed to just expect them to hate me.

                “I got something for you,” I pull back recalling that I actually have to give him something. I get up from the bed and head over to my bags and grab the small carry on and sig the box from one of the pockets. Once I have I take my seat next to him again. “I was actually going to mail it to you but since you brought us back here you go,” I hand the small box to him.

                “I think we’re too young for a wedding proposal,” he smirks to which I roll my eyes.

                “Just open it before I regret it,” I motion to the box. He opens it with a sigh and then takes out the leather cord from inside.

                “What does it mean?” he asks referring to the pendant that hangs from the chord.

                “It’s the OM sign meaning strength. There was this vintage like shop in Paris we went to and I saw this when the lady told me what it meant I bought it remembering that day and I was going to mail it to you wondering if you remembered,” I explained.

                “I love it,” he says smiling widely as he slips it over his head and lets it fall down his collarbone. I smile proudly at the fact that he actually appreciates it.

                “It’s supposed to give you physical and mental strength which you do for me no matter how many times I deny it,” I say looking down. I feel his fingers on my chin as he lifts my head up to look him in the eyes, those eyes that make me lose myself.

                “It’s okay to need someone you don’t have to always be alone,” he says and it’s like he can read right through me he finishes by giving me a hug. “This is something that holds a lot of meaning to me now and I will treasure it as such,” he says.

                “Glad to know you’ll treasure it but it’s not always going to be like this. Don’t expect me to be all touchy-feely all the time ‘cause it ain’t happening,” I explain which is true. His melodic laughter fills my ears and I soon join in, who would’ve thought that I’d find myself enjoying Aiden Sander’s company one day? I guess fate can be really unexpected just as it can be a bitch.