As soon as the door shut Mr. Hugh sent a paperback souring toward it. He despised that young man.

~

"Its such a beautiful day," April said.

"Yes, it is rather nice." Isaiah answered.

Then he was silent.

"Why have you called on me so early?" April couldn't hold it in any longer. She had to ask; she had to know if he was really interested in her.

"About that," Isaiah began, "there's some news I have to tell you."

He led her to the nearest bench and instructed her to sit.

"Yes?" She waited.

"I desire to marry you." Isaiah said.

April gasped.

After composing herself she said, "So soon? Is this really how these things work? You haven't even courted me yet?"

"Of course this is how these things work," Isaiah said impatiently, "and I am courting you now." He sighed, "You are young so you obviously do not understand how disadvantaged you are."

"What?" April said feeling as if she had just been insulted.

"You heard me correctly. Young April, you are too naïve if you think that any man would want you." Isaiah said.

Her heart ached at his words. She felt her eyes start to tear up but she fought back her emotions; she would not let him see her cry.

"For starters, you are black and cannot hope to marry outside of your race; white women are considered much prettier than your kind these days. Secondly, you are a maid of very low position and have only a short time before you are considered to be of spinster age. Lastly, you are orphaned and have no dowry to give any man who pitied you enough to stoop as low as to marry you." He finished, throwing his words into her face.

April couldn't stand to look at him now and turned away as she felt her first tear escape down her face.

But then Isaiah surprised her. He kneeled down so that they were eye level and taking her chin gently in his hand, he turned her face to look at his.

"Considering all this April, I have chosen to marry you. Even though you are skinnier than normal, you will bear me fine children. And you will be amply able to take care of our household since you have experience with cooking and cleaning. I accept you with no dowry and no family. You will be mine." With that Isaiah greedily placed his deceitful lips onto April's. And she cringed.

He finished his kiss and slowly stood up. Looking down at her he said, "You have two days to decide. Within that time, I shall be back with our wedding papers." And then he walked away.

~

Mr. Hugh was mad as hell. And that was saying something because he did not get angry often. He sat on his bed beside his wife.

"He's an absolute pig, I tell you." He said.

"Whom are you referring to, darling?" Mrs. Hugh attempted to calm him down.

"That bastard, Isaiah Whitfield. He wants to marry April. We don't even have her for a month and already I can't keep my promise to her father." He said.

"Marriage? Are you referring to the swine who met her at the ball last evening?" She asked. "How dare he even think of it?"

"I don't know what to do. April tells me she has two days to decide before he sweeps her away and I'm positive she'll go through with it." Adam said.