Chapter 3

Hello readers, first off just wanted to say thanks so much for reading; I'm really grateful. Secondly, If you disliked Isaiah before, I'm pretty sure you're going to hate him now. With that being said, hope you enjoy this loong chapter.

~

The next morning, April was awakened by a knock at the door. Liz reached it before she could but April still saw who had arrived.

It was him, Isaiah Whitfield. He had obviously wasted no time in calling on her. Maybe this is a good sign, April thought.

Isaiah had requested to speak directly to Mr. Hugh. While he was being led into the study, April hurried to get dressed.

Once inside the study, Isaiah shook hands with Mr. Hugh.

"Good morning," he said to Mr. Hugh with his usual abruptness.

"Good morning," Mr. Hugh said.

After they were both seated on opposite sides of Mr. Hugh's desk, Isaiah began.

"Seeing as I don't like to waste my time, I will get straight to the point. I would like court and marry one of your young maids, subsequently taking her off your hands."

"Oh really?" Mr. Hugh said, taken off guard by Isaiah's rudeness. "And which maid did you have in mind?"

"Her name is April Lockett," he said.

Mr. Hugh could not hide his shock. "April Lockett? Why, she's been in town for less than a week how do you even know her?"

"We met at a ball last night." He said.

"And does she know your intentions of marrying her?" Mr. Hugh asked, bordering on indignation.

"She will soon, of course. But settling these affairs is a man's business. And since she is an orphan, her employer is the man I must discuss these dealings with. Especially since this change will leave you an employee short." Isaiah said with little emotion.

"Mr. Whitfield, you know nothing of love," Mr. Hugh said darkly, rising from his chair.

Isaiah chuckled softly to himself before saying, "I assure you, love has nothing to do with it, Mr. Hugh."

"Why you little-" Mr. Hugh was suddenly cut off by a knock at the door.

Regaining his composure, he said, "Yes, who is it?"

"Mr. Hugh, it's me, April." Came a soft voice from the other side.

Both gentlemen stood and faced the door before Mr. Hugh said, "Come in."

April walked in and upon seeing Mr. Whitfield, curtsied politely.

"Good morning," she said.

"Good morning,"

"Good morning," both gentlemen replied.

"April, Mr. Whitfield has come to call upon you this morning," Mr. Hugh said through somewhat gritted teeth.

"Yes, would you like to go on a walk, April?" Isaiah asked causing Mr. Hugh to shoot him a deadly stare.

"Sure," April replied hesitantly, "if its alright with Mr. Hugh."

"Mr. Hugh, would you mind?" Isaiah said with mock civility.

"Not in the least." Mr. Hugh struggled to maintain a calm tone. "Enjoy your walk this fine day." He said while his courtesy ebbed.

He watched the pair leave with growing disdain for Isaiah.

"Mr. Hugh, we can finish our discussion later." Isaiah said before walking out behind April and pulling the door closed behind him.