Chapter 7

I heard the screen door to the house. Mr. Mertle was standing on the porch. Hercules went and rubbed his head on his hand. Mr. Mertle grabbed his collar and Hercules led him over here.

"I don't think George would appreciate you talking to his daughter like that." Mr. Mertle said. I smiled at my dads name. I stood up and went and hugged Mr. Mertle.

"Who?" Smalls asked.

"George Herman Ruth." Mr. Mertle said.

"You mean Babe Ruth?" Squints asked. Yeah-Yeah came and stood beside me, grabbing my hand.

"Yeah. Babe Ruth. I'm Ariel Lynn Ruth." I said. They laughed.

"It's the truth. He really is her dad." Mr. Mertle said. They stopped laughing.

"Babe Ruth is dead." Bartram said.

I looked down and finally let the tears I've been holding back, fall. Yeah-Yeah wrapped his arm around my waist.

"Yeah. I know. Why do you think I'm here? My mom didn't want me. She didn't even show up at my dads funeral. My dad wanted me to be with a close friend of his. Mr. Mertle is that close friend. My dad taught me how to play baseball. After his games, me, him, and the rest of the team would stay at the stadium for a while, playing baseball. That's why I don't play baseball anymore. I swore off baseball after my dad died. I can't stand to pick up my baseball, my bat, or my glove. I can't even touch my Yankees uniform that the team gave me."I said.

"It's okay. I'm here for you." Yeah-Yeah whispered to me.

"I've got a picture of George holding Ariel. He was on the pitchers mound. It was after one of his games. The one where he called his shot. The whole team standing behind him. Ariel was their angel." Mr. Mertle said.

"Yes she was. And she still is." I heard a voice I never thought I would hear again. I turned around and saw Miller Huggins. A teammate of my dads.

"Oh my god. What are you doing here?" I asked. I ran and hugged him.

"I had to come visit. See what you've been up to. Mr. Mertle here says you haven't even touched any of your baseball stuff." he said.

"I haven't. It all reminds me of dad. I just can't do it." I said.

"You and I both know your dad wouldn't want this. He would want you to play baseball because you and him both love it. You spent your whole life with the team. Playing baseball with us after every game. It didn't matter if we won or lost. He always wanted you to be happy. We both know what makes you happy. And that's baseball. Your dad wouldn't like how you've become. He wouldn't like that you're making yourself miserable. You need to get back out there and play baseball. If not for you, then for your dad." he said.

"I don't even remember how to play. It's been forever." I said.

"Get these guys to help you. I'm sure they won't mind." he said.

"No. I'm pretty sure they hate me by now. I lied to them about who I was. About why I was here. About why I stopped playing baseball. Since I've been here, everything has been a lie." I said.

"I could always take you back with me." Miller said.

"No. No, she can't leave. We don't hate you, Shorty. We just wish you would've been honest with us. We may not have believed you at first, but you have the proof. We don't want you to leave. And we'll help you with baseball." Benny said.

"Yeah, yeah. Don't leave. Please." Yeah-Yeah said. I looked down.

"But I've been lying to all of you this whole time. Why would any of you forgive me?" I asked.

"Because you're one of us now. And you belong here. You fit in with us perfectly. You've made us realize girls can like baseball and can play baseball. Besides, if you left, we would miss you." Squints said.

"Yeah, yeah. We would miss you. Besides, I-I love you, Ariel." Yeah-Yeah said.

"I-I love you, too, Yeah-Yeah." I said.

"Awwww." the guys said.

"See. They don't hate you, Ari. Now, go play some baseball." Miller said.

"Okay." I said.