Chapter 6

We started walking back to the sandlot. Yeah-Yeah grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers. When we got back to the sandlot, everyone was at the fence and Benny was changing his shoes. He jumped up on the old tire, and then the old car.

"Benny, what are you doing?" I asked.

"Going to get the ball back." he said.

Oh great. Hercules isn't going to like that.

"No. Let me go get it." I said.

"You can't run. You injured your knee playing baseball. And I don't think your new boyfriend would like it very much if I let you go over that fence. Besides, you're one of my best friends. I would never let you get into any danger." Benny said.

And then, he jumped over the fence. I heard Hercules start barking and growling. Then, I saw Benny jump back over the fence, ball in hand. Oh, thank god. We all cheered. Until we saw Hercules jump over the fence. Benny took off running, Hercules chasing after him. We all ran after him.

After forever of running, we ended up back at the sandlot. We were looking around for Benny. Then, we saw him. Hercules was getting closer to him. Hercules took a bite out of Benny's shirt. Thank goodness Benny didn't get bit. Benny jumped back over the fence. But Hercules ran right through it. The fence the began to fall. After the dust cleared, we saw Benny at the dog house and Hercules trapped under the fence.

"Hercules!" I screamed.

I ran over and sat by his head. I tried to lift the fence off of him, but it was too heavy. Yeah-Yeah ran and helped me lift the fence off of him. I wrapped my arms around Hercules' neck and he rested his head on my shoulder. Then, I remember everyone else around me.

"Hercules?" they all asked. Hercules barked at his name.

"Would you like to explain?" Benny asked.