Chapter 5

"Okay. Now tell me what's bothering you. You can trust me." he said. I took a deep breath.

"I've been telling you guys a whole big lie since we met. This whole time, most of the things I've told you guys about me are a lie." I said.

"Like what?" he asked.

"Well, first off, my last name is Ruth. And I didn't get injured playing baseball. I swore off baseball. My dad loved baseball. He was a huge fan. He taught me how to play. But he died. That's why I moved here. My mom didn't want me so I'm living with an old friend of my dads. I'm living with Mr. Mertle. And 'The Beast' isn't bad. He isn't a beast at all. He's just a very protective dog. His name is Hercules. He wasn't trained to eat kids or attack kids. He was trained to gaurd the junkyard. He's a really sweet dog. I play fetch with him everyday. Mr. Mertle isn't as bad as everyone says he is, either. He never leaves his house because he's blind. And my dad is George Herman Ruth." I said. He looked completely shocked.

"We all thought we were in danger because of that dog. Why didn't you tell us sooner? You could have gotten the ball for us instead of us pulling all this stupid stuff to try and get it back." he said.

"Please don't be mad at me. And you can't tell them, either. I tell them when the time is right. I promise. And I didn't say anything because I didn't think any of you guys would believe that I'm actually Babe Ruth's daughter." I said.

"I promise I won't tell them. I do find it kinda hard to believe that you're Babe Ruth's daughter. But I do believe you. And wouldn't Mr. Mertle have proof?" he said.

"Yeah. Come on. Let's head back." I said.