Promise Me

Sock's POV

"How could you do that to me?" I yelled at my boss. Not the smartest thing to do to Satan himself, but at that moment, I didn't care. "He's going to try to get Jonathan to kill himself and if he succeeds, I can't stop him! Why do you think I took the offer of killing two more people?" I asked.

"Calm down Sock. I only gave him the position until you finish your other two assignments. Once you're done with those, I'm sending him to burn for an eternity. He's too emotional to complete jobs, and he's plain annoying." my boss scoffed.
"Yeah but what if I don't finish on time? What if I was out with someone else, and Kent got him to actually do it? I wouldn't be able to save him." I said.

I took my beanie off and ran my hands through my hair. "I can't lose Jonathan." I said seriously. "Give Kent a different position." I glared. Mephistopheles sighed. "Listen kid. I wouldn't worry too much about Jonathan. He's stronger than you think and he's stubborn. Kent isn't going to get him to do anything. Even if he did do it, why are you so worried? He'll be with you for an eternity." He asked.

"No. That would be selfish of me." I said. "He needs to go to prom, graduate, get a job, get a girlfriend, and have college problems. He needs to grow up, and eventually start a family and have a life! Do the things I can't do!" I yelled. I wanted to cry. All these emotions flooded in as I admitted what I truly wanted for Jonathan.

Mephistopheles stared at me for a second before rubbing his forehead. "Geez. You're in love with the guy more than I thought." he said quietly.

"I know right? It almost brings tears to my eyes." said a sarcastic voice.

I turned around to see my latest accomplishment. My fists clenched. "What do you want Kent?" I asked. "Oh nothing. I'm waiting for Jonathan to wake up right now so I can watch him get dressed." He smirked. "Hopefully he wakes up early enough to shower." 
I grabbed the closest thing near me, which happened to be a stapler and threw it at Kent. He remained where he was, and let it phase through him, creating a dent in the wall.
"Looks like someone didn't top last night" he grinned.

I bit my lip and was about to throw something, but my boss grabbed my arm. "That's enough Kent." He said firmly. Kent rolled his eyes.
"Listen Sock." Meph said kneeling down. "I would fire Kent from this position if I could, but we already made a deal. Just trust me though, I highly doubt he'll be able to get Jonathan to do anything." I heard Kent groan but Mephistopheles ignored him. 

"Even if he could, shouldn't this motivate you to complete your other assignments?"

I looked down and took a deep breath. "Give me both files." I said.
He nodded and began to search through the never ending file cabinet. "Don't be surprised if I get to Jonathan, before you get to them." Kent said shaking his head towards the files. I gritted my teeth. "Jonathan isn't stupid. You won't be able to get him to do anything." I told him.

He  let out a little laugh. "I didn't say he was stupid, but don't get your hopes up. I don't think you realize how easy this job is." "What are you talking about?" I snapped.
"The guy loves you right?" He asked. "Well when you love someone, you want to stay with them forever. We both know what he'll have to do to accomplish that." He smirked.

I felt like I had been punched in the stomach. Mephistopheles pulled out two files and I snatched them before he could explain anything. I grabbed Kent by his collar and pulled him up. "You stay away from Jonathan." I said through gritted teeth. "I promise you, I'll finish this before you can persuade him to do anything and when I do, I'll happily watch you burn."
With that, I saluted my boss and left to check on Jonathan.

When I got to his house, he was putting his hoodie on half asleep. I flew over him and kissed his forehead. "Good morning hot stuff." I smirked. He let out a sleepy laugh and kissed my lips. "Morning" he yawned. "How'd it go?"
I groaned. "Ugh. Well, Kent is basically going to be your stupid new demon until I can complete two more jobs."
"Hold up. You're leaving me?" He said loudly. He was wide awake now and I smiled. "No dummy. I wouldn't be so calm about it if that was the case." I said.

A slight blush crept on his cheeks. "Good." He said firmly.
I took a deep breath. "Listen Jonathan. I- I need you to promise me something." I said intently. "Of course Sock. Anything I promise. What is it?" He said holding my hands.

"Whatever Kent tells you, whatever he says to do. Be strong for me. Don't ever hurt yourself, and never ever let Kent persuade you to kill yourself. Promise me that. I'm not going to lose you. I can't- I- I won't..." I felt myself stuttering so I just hugged him. He held me back tighter. "I promise you Sock. For you, I'll be strong. Don't worry ok?" He said quietly. I squeezed him once more before letting go. "Ok." I said.

"Now finish getting ready. You're going to be late."