You'll Figure it out Kid

Sock's POV

"Do you truly want me to die?"

I replayed that question over and over in my head. The expression on his face ran through my head every time I closed my eyes. The way he had bit his lip, and how his fists were clenched. It was as if he was nervous for my answer.

I couldn't do it. I wanted him dead just so that I'd be done with this job, but I had never actually thought about it the way he put it. My answer was no. I didn't want him to stop breathing. I didn't want him to harm himself in any way. The thing was, I didn't know why.
I couldn't tell him I didn't want him dead. Whether I wanted him alive or not, it was still my job to make sure he killed himself. I decided I'd go to Mephistopheles. He'd know what to do.

As I walked up to his office my stomach dropped. I was nervous and what was I going to say? I can't kill this dude but I don't know why?
I sighed and walked in.

"Sock! I'm glad you're here kid, grab me that would you?" I looked up to see my boss walking on the ceiling. He was reading something on a piece of paper and files were floating all around the room. He hadn't looked at me but was pointing towards a water bottle with red liquid on his desk. I handed it to him and tried to tell him why I was there.

"So uh- Yeah Mephistopheles? I uh, need to tal-" "Ahh. Nothing like a little blood after dinner am I right?" he cut me off. Blood? "Ugh!" I groaned aloud. I didn't even bother to hide my disgust.
He held his stomach in a fit of laughter. "I'm just messin with ya kid. It's cranberry juice. Now, what do you have to talk to me about? Your little boyfriend? How you want to do your job, but can't do your job, and you're here for answers concerning your job, because you don't know why you can't do this job? I mean, I'm taking wild guesses here" He smirked.

I was shocked "How did you-"
"I get bored and don't have a life, so I sneak a peek every now and then in yours. Or your afterlife would be the correct term." he chuckled cutting me off again.

I sighed. "I'm sorry." I told him. "It's just, I don't know why, but I don't want him to die. He's different. I feel like if I wanted someone else to commit suicide, I'd be great at this job, but Jonathan... I'm just not sure I can do this." I started fidgeting with my fingers. The files that were floating around the room all floated down creating a paper tornado, before landing in a neat pile on the desk.

Mephistopheles walked down from the ceiling and sat down. "I was afraid something like this would happen. I didn't think it would be with your first human counterpart though." He took another drink before continuing. "You know what I have to do with you right?" "Send me to be tortured for all eternity." I answered solemnly.
"Pretty much." He said. "But I'm not going to do that. Listen, I'll put Jonathan on hold. You can still see him and talk to him but you're going to be assigned to another human counterpart at the same time."

I felt a wave of relief wash over me. Kill someone else? Yeah. I could do that. "Why do I get a second chance at this?" I asked him. "Because I like you. You're entertaining for me, but you have to prove yourself. You need to show me that you can actually do this job." This was probably the first time I've ever seen my boss somewhat, serious.

"You got it" I said saluting him. "But what do you mean Jonathan is on hold?" I asked him.
"It means that he's not your first priority anymore. You can still try to have him kill himself here and there, but if you persuade at least three other  humans to suicide, you can keep your job even if Jonathan is still alive." He explained. He got up and opened the never ending file cabinet and started searching through files.

"Okay then boss. I'll get this job done and prove myself." I felt a lot better about this. It was going to be easy to have other people hurt themselves.

One question did keep pulling at my mind though. "Oh and uhhh. Why don't I want Jonathan to you know, punch his own ticket?" I asked. "Why is it so hard for me to persuade him? Why don't I want him dead?"
Mephistopheles laughed. "Ah kids. Haha. You'll figure it out kid. Trust me." He answered.
"But-"
"Now here is your next assignment." he cut me off, again. He snapped his fingers and the drawer slammed shut. I took the folder to see my next victim.

Kent Garcia.

He had black hair and green eyes, with thick glasses that almost covered the dark circles under his eyes. He looked dead in the picture. "Alright sir. I'll get it done." I told him. "I know you will." He replied with his chin on his hands and a smirk. "Good luck kid." 

I walked out of the office and decided I'd check on Jonathan. He'd be asleep by now but that didn't bother me. It meant I didn't have to answer him yet. I phased into his house and he was asleep on the couch. He looked uncomfortable in his sleep and I felt my heart sink. I grabbed the blanket from upstairs and covered him. I decided I wouldn't visit him tomorrow. "I'll start my job with Kent tomorrow since I don't have anything to do on weekends anyway and I'll keep my usual schedule with Jonathan." I told myself quietly.

As I floated out of his house I started to wonder why Mephistopheles didn't answer my question. He really believed I'd figure it out on my own. I didn't see why this was so hard for me though. The answer had to be simple right? What was my reason for not wanting Jonathan to kill himself? I asked myself over and over coming up with possible answers until I felt myself growing tired.

I decided to crash at my old house. It was up for sale, but no one had bought it yet. I floated upstairs to my old closet. It was a walk-in closet that had a built in seat on the side. It was used for a place to sit as you put your shoes on, but I remember always having a pile of dirty laundry on it.

Now, I usually slept there when I wasn't sleeping at Jonathan's.
Once I got myself comfortable, I pulled my beanie over my eyes and fell asleep.