Chapter Seven (Picture of Bruce Banner/Hulk and Tony Stark/Iron Man)

The Pentagon

Washington DC, Capitol of the United States of America

Gibbs pulled into the Pentagon’s parking lot with Borin in the next seat. Right next to him, Tony and Ziva pulled in with their car.

"I hope we’re not overdoing this," Borin grumbled for about the twentieth time on the ride over.

Gibbs looked over at his CGIS counterpart and grinned. "We will be if you say that again."

Borin glared at him. "I just hope that Maria’s OK, wherever she is."

"She’ll be fine."

"If you’re not right, I will kill you."

Gibbs chuckled as he got out of the car. "I bid you good luck with that."

Borin snorted as she got out as well. "Thanks. I wonder if I need it."

Tony and Ziva followed on their flanks, and they approached the Pentagon, ready to enter.

The problem was that someone was already waiting for them.

The man standing at the doors was dressed in a black long-sleeved shirt and black jeans, combat boots rounding out the entire outfit. The black leather jacket he was wearing matched the entire thing, and from the badge on his belt, he was clearly FBI.

An FBI agent that Gibbs could probably guess. "You’re the AWOL FBI agent Fornell’s been asking about, I bet."

The man smirked. "That would be me."

"So what’re you doing here?" Tony piped up.

The doors to the Pentagon opened again, and with it came a familiar voice: "He’s been helping me with some people."

Tony and Ziva’s jaws dropped as Abby stepped up to the FBI agent’s side, looking perfectly under control. "Abby?" Tony gasped.

"What?" Abby asked. "McGee’s here, did you not expect to see me?"

"Didn’t expect you to be with the FBI," Gibbs countered.

"Clint isn’t just the FBI, Gibbs," Abby retorted.

"You had to mention that," Clint grumbled.

Abby lightly punched him in the arm. "Yes, I did, if you didn’t want them to kill you."

"Alright, I’ll bite," Gibbs interrupted them. "Who are you?"

Clint looked Gibbs right in the eye with a ton of intensity. "My name is Clint Barton. I wasn’t lying to Fornell about that. But I’m not truly with the FBI. I work for SHIELD. The FBI was my cover." He nodded to Abby. "Until Abby here brought me out of it."

"Why?" Ziva asked.

Clint and Abby exchanged glances. "You might want to come upstairs for that," Abby replied.

"Is it really that bad?" Borin asked.

Abby nodded. "Yep. It’s that bad."

***

Steve had begun to wonder when Clint and Abby would be back when he heard voices coming from the hallway.

Stark had realized it, too. "Look sharp, everyone," he ordered as his Iron Man suit unfolded and became a suitcase at his feet. "Here comes the party."

"Hopefully it’s an easier one than New York’s," Maria commented as she sat down by Jane close to the wall, putting the Avengers between them and the door.