Prologue

Walking in the Crossfire

[Prologue]

“When a human dies, he must be taken to the gates to be judged. He must go to either heaven or hell. He must stay where he belongs and make no attempt to get out. For that those who end up in hell because of their rotten life has no choice anyways.

“Why is that so hard to get through your thick head?”

“I don’t know, but let me ask you another thing” I spun around while running backwards to face the boar-like death god with a smile on my face, “if I’m not supposed to get out, why was there an exit in the first place?”

That really set him off, “why you-! I’ll crush your words into your dead face!” he charged towards me at full speed, raising his giant hammer and struck the floor not too far away from me. The floor shook at the impact, the waves knocking me back but it wasn’t much of a problem for me.

I back-flipped in the air, taking advantage of the blow as I landed lightly on my feet. Graceful like a deer, quick as a rabbit as they would say. I grinned playfully at the death god, his red eyes glowering with anger as he stepped towards me. He wasn’t entirely a boar, just his head and hoofed feet are of the animal; his head was the skull while the feet were a lot bigger. He was generally big the whole way, his muscles bulging on his arms and his boar skull was huge but apparently hollow. He wore a set of battered armor but his arms remained bare, probably to show off his muscles.

Last but not least was his cobra tail that seems to have a mind of his own yet equally not so bright. It glared at me with pure hatred as if it wanted to sink its fangs right into me. That would be possible if it weren’t attached to a boar’s butt.

I chuckled slightly at the thought, getting on the Death God’s last nerve, “I’ll kill you!” he roared and raised his hammer.

Heh, so predictable. I smirked and jumped high into the air as the hammer hit the ground. I landed softly on the hammer, just inches away from the boar’s eyes. “Kill? I’m afraid I’m already dead”

Boar with Snake Butt gritted his teeth and jerked his hammer up in attempt to throw me off, “how do you like me now?!” he roared.

I just flew up calmly, front flipped and landed behind the Death god. The snake snapped its head towards me and hissed. I smiled at it, “some attitude you’ve got”

It hissed again and lashed out but I was already bouncing off the walls back in front of my Death God friend. I landed easily and stretched, “if you’re going to catch me, you got to be way faster than that”

The Death God gripped his hammer, his chest heaving with anger and exhaustion. It looks like he could fall any second but he kept coming at me, driven only by his anger and hatred. His attacks got lamer and lamer as exhaustion consumed him and he still hasn’t laid a hit on me.

In a matter of minutes, he was practically dragging his heavy hammer with him, his steps slower than a slug. I just watched him, waiting for him to fall so I know I can run off safely. But just before that could happen, a new voice called out from above.

“Your anger took the best of you again, Waren. I knew a pighead like you wouldn’t be able to catch a measly runaway ghost.”

I looked up at the source of the voice and spotted a crow-skulled Death God sitting on the top of a building. He took to the air with one mighty flap of his wings, suddenly folding them up again in a steep dive towards us. I backed away at the last second when he landed heavily, kicking a huge amount of dust, blinding me for a second.