Chapter 1

Isabella's POV

I stood outside the Museum of Natural History in the freezing cold. It was mid-November and the temperature was quickly dropping. Inside the Museum, I could see Ahkmenrah standing alone in a corner of the lobby. The other exhibits, including the night guard and his son, were speaking with one another. It was then that Ahkmenrah caught my eye. He stared at me for what felt like forever, before made his way over to the doors. His eyes were surprised, shocked, and relieved all at the same time.

"Isabella?" He questioned, sounding choked. 

I smiled faintly up at him. Hello, brother.

Before I could say anything else, Ahkmenrah's arms were wrapped tightly around me. His grip was breath-taking, but after all these years, I had missed it. "What are you doing here?" Ahkmenrah moved his hands to my shoulders and gazed into my eyes. "I thought... you died before... I thought I would never see you again."

I knew my eyes were sad, but my remark was teasing. Are you doubting the powers of your tablet?

Ahkmenrah smirked at me before pulling me back in for another hug. "It has been too long, Isabella. I have missed you."

When I pulled away, a movement behind him caught my attention. A boy of no older than twelve was curiously watching me. The boy reached up and tugged on the sleeve of an older man's jacket; I assumed the man was his father. His father glanced down at him, and when the boy pointed to me, looked up and frowned at seeing me. 

Do they know about me?

"No," Ahkmenrah answered softly. 

Do they know about Kahmunrah? I asked with an undertone of annoyance. His silence was more than enough of an answer. You did not mention me?

"Ahk, who is this?" The older man questioned, walking up to us. His son was trailing behind him. 

Ahkmenrah stepped closer to me, his hand finding mine. "This is Isabella."

The man frowned once more. "How did she get in? The doors were locked."

The image of someone I knew entered my mind. I could see him searching, looking in every window, every building, every door. He was getting closer. I didn't have much time. Ahkmenrah, I must tell you something.

He squeezed my hand gently, silently telling me to wait. "I let her in."

"You what?" the man questioned.

Ahkmenrah, you must listen to me. It is important. I urged, desperate now.

"Why would you let her in?" the man continued. "You know the rules, Ahk."

Suddenly, the doors burst open. I stiffened, knowing exactly who it was. I heard heavy footsteps come up behind me, and knew there would be trouble. I dared not glance over my shoulder, though my every instinct was telling me not to anger him. 

"You are just as much trouble as I remember," he spoke, his lisp prominent.

I continued to hold still. However, I knew if I wanted to, I could very well take care of him easily. But I had been hiding a secret from Ahkmenrah for too long to disclose it now.

Suddenly angry, the person behind me roughly took my arm and spun me around. His fingers gripped my chin, forcing me to meet his fiery gaze. "How dare you ignore me."

Ahkmenrah stepped in then, trying to separate me from him. "Brother, let her go."

"Well, if it isn't little brother. Always coming to the rescue of little sister." The person yanked me forward. "You will come with me, Isabella," he demanded. "You will join me in my quest for power."

Ahkmenrah changed the subject, trying to understand what was happening. "Kahmunrah, what is going on?"

Kahmunrah glanced down at me, a wicked sneer on his face. "You haven't told dearest brother? Oh, what a shame. He deserves to know."

Ahkmenrah's eyes slowly flicked to mine. "Isabella... what is he talking about? What haven't you told me?"

I glared at my oldest brother, daring him to say it. Don't you dare disclose this to him. This is not your concern.

Kahmunrah grinned evilly. "Little sister has powers."

Ahkmenrah spun me back around to face him. "Isabella? Is that true? You have powers?"

Sighing, I nodded. Yes. It is true.

A hurt look filled his face as he stared back at me. "Why didn't you tell me?"

I couldn't put you at risk, I told him. I was already risking my life by coming here.

"Put me at risk? Isabella, what are you going on about?" My older brother questioned. His voice was angry, but also hurt and disappointed. "Why would telling me about your powers put me at risk?"

Kahmunrah never gave me a chance to answer. Patience was never his strong suit, but he must have run out of what little he may have had. Before Ahkmenrah could stop him, Kahmunrah had thrown me against the doors, shattering the glass. I knew his plan was to weaken me so that I would be unable to fight against him. I could feel the blood beginning to seep from every cut on my body. 

"Isabella!" Ahkmenrah called out, running to bottom of the Museum's steps to where I was laying. His eyes took in every inch of my body, trying to assess how much damage had been done. Kahmunrah was not far behind him. 

Ahkmenrah, I started weakly. I will be fine, though my powers will be subdued for quite some time. Any injury to my body weakens my powers. My eyes moved to see Kahmunrah slowly coming down the steps, a khopesh in hand. You must let me go, I told him. 

Ahkmenrah shook his head, gripping my hand tightly. "I won't, Isabella. I just got you back."

Please, brother. For your safety as well as theirs... let me go.

"I will never see you again," he whispered desperately. 

Are you doubting me, brother? Surely, you know better than that. You will see me again, I promised. Be certain of that.

Kahmunrah reached us then. Shoving Ahkmenrah away, he forcefully pulled me off the ground. "Say your goodbyes, brother," he spat. "For this will be the last time you will see her."

Don't listen to him, Ahkmenrah. You will see me again. I promise.