Chapter Twenty-Nine

Začít od začátku

"You are a liar." He said out loud. Verin shook his head, glaring at them both. "Father never had a twin brother. Demons look similar all the time especially of the same kind of Demon. It's just a coincidence that you look like me and that is it."

I could feel that denial loud and clear. I did not blame him for not believing them, but as I stared at Vetis, I could see the undeniable loss on his face about the mention of his father. That and the slight annoyance of Verin's denial. "Verin..." I murmured, hoping that he would heed my warning as he was testing waters.

"How can you deny this?" Vetis demanded as he waved his hands. "We are related by blood. I had to hide that fact for years because your father didn't want it known. If it was known, I would have been slaughtered. Your father made that threat loud and clear to me as he wanted to make sure you get the throne and not I, who is the rightful ruler!"

"Again, you are making claims without any proof!" Verin snarled, angry as always, "And even if you are the rightful heir, you're giving it up to that stupid fuck anyways!"

"That's enough." Mammon spoke up before Vetis can say another word. "I believe that this makes it clear that it is time." He waved his left hand. "Guards split these two up and bring the slave over here."

"Don't you touch Faolan!" Verin hissed, struggling harshly as the guards came over and picked him up. Three guards had to haul him and bring him to the left side of the room before shoving him down to the ground hard.

I growled when I saw the mistreatment. "Shut up, mongrel!" One of the guards near me growled in return and lifted his foot to kick the side of my face. Shocked, my head whipped at the force, feeling the pain as I leaned too far to one side. Before falling over, the other guard picked me up by the collar and threw me towards the throne.

Flinching, I had slid on one side. Before I could process anything, another Demon guard came quickly to shove me onto my stomach and kneed my back quite painfully. Then the guard shoved his hand to the side of my face and made my face be against the ground. The pressure was so hard that it was hard to breathe through my nose or mouth.

"Let him go this instant!" Verin shouted, trying to break free from the guards.

Mammon tsked. "Oh, Verin, Verin, why would I do that?" He asked, quite amused. "Especially when you have no idea what kind of slave you have here."

Instantly, I was confused. What did he mean by that? I couldn't see him from where I was besides Verin, so all I could do was stare at him instead. It was no secret that I was the species of a Lycan.

"I do not understand, though nothing you have been saying makes any sense!" Verin snapped, annoyed as he glanced at me, trying to hide his concern, but it was plain as day.

"Don't you know, Verin?" He laughed, loudly. "This isn't a normal Lycan! This is the famous Faolan Herron. He is widely nicknamed many different names, depending on the region you go to. Many of those names are Night Wolf, Death Bringer, The Silent Howler... the list goes on. He's the ruthless and the most non-merciless creature alive. But do you know what he's famous for, my dear cousin?"

I started to feel sweat come down my face. How could he of known my identity? When did he figure it out? Above all, my concerns were that if my clan was in danger due to this. Yes, I was no longer who he spoke of as I have become a coward. A weakling. My gaze stayed on Verin, who now looked confused. But I will not be weak anymore if it means protecting him.

"I..."

Mammon continued on in a heartbeat, sounding eager by revealing the news. "He was known as a mercenary, but he is also known for being an assassin." I could almost hear the grin on his face. "So, you know what that means, Verin?"