Chapter 21

Lucas

When I got home, I was on cloud nine. Kirsten and I had made up, she broke up with Josh, I got to scare the crap out of him, and she had admitted that I was her boyfriend. The way things were going, I even had a feeling she was willing to admit that at school. This day couldn’t get any better.

I looked around then headed to Ally’s room. “You in here Ally?”

I heard a giggle and saw her blonde hair poking up from the other side of her bed. I smirked. “Oh where could that little girl be? Hmmm.” I slowly walked into the room, playing dumb, then sat on her bed with my back to her. “What is that silly girl up to?”

“I’m not silly!” she yelled as she jumped onto the bed and grabbed me.

I smiled and fell back. “I had no clue you were back there!” She giggled and I sat back up. “And how are you this afternoon Ms. Ally Cat?”

She smiled wide as she popped up. “Great!” She hopped off her bed and started digging through her toys. “Bubbu, play with me!”

I smiled and stood up, ready to play until I heard the front door slam and Roger scream my name. I sighed, pulling out my iPod and helping Ally get some headphones on. “I’ll come back and play with you in a few minutes, okay? You stay here.”

I kissed her forehead then headed into the living room, holding onto the pendent of my new necklace for a moment before tucking it into my shirt. I hadn’t even had time to spot Roger before he grabbed my shirt and slammed me into the wall.

“I just got a call from someone telling me I needed to control my freak of a son,” he growled.

“What are you talking about!?” I shoved him back then quickly moved away, trying to put some distance and furniture between us.

He glared, grabbing an ashtray off an end table and chunking it at me, but it missed. “I told you to stay away from that Daniels girl, and what do you do?”

“She’s in my class! How am I supposed to stay away from her when she’s in my freaking class!?”

He picked up a small statue and I slowly inched toward the couch, hoping to grab a pillow and use it as a shield. “You got inside her head and made her break it off with the Chambers boy. His father is going to be furious with me!”

Wait, he hadn’t talked to Mr. Chambers yet? But Mr. Chambers was the one who always filled Roger in on my behavior. If he hadn’t told Roger about this, who did?”

His grip tightened on the statue. “And all this because you want to make some freak girl jealous!?” Now that was a lie, but I didn’t have time to wonder about it because at that moment, a statue came hurling toward me.

I turned around, ducking my head down, and the statue hit my back. That was definitely going to leave a bruise. I turned around and immediately jumped back when I saw Roger had already made his way over to me. Unfortunately, I didn’t jump back far enough and next thing I knew, I was stumbling back, my jaw aching.

The fight went on like this for what seemed like forever. Usually I get in at least a few good punches and manage to dodge the majority of his, but tonight I couldn’t get ahead. I was doing good to just make sure he didn’t hit anything important.

It all ended with me on the floor and Roger’s hands around my neck, choking me. I think he was saying something about me never embarrassing him again, but I can’t be sure. By then, the lack of oxygen to my brain was making things kind of woozy.

The room was fading and I was just about to pass out when there was a small shriek and Roger’s hands suddenly left my throat. I laid there for a moment, coughing and trying to figure out what was going on.