Chapter 22

Sam

I wake up to Megan shaking me from my sleep while she says, "Sam, we have to go back to the reception."

I reply to her slowly. "Why?"

"They're probably looking for us."

"I don't want to go back. Can we just leave?" I grab her hand as she tries to pull me up from the bench.

"If that's what you want. I can drop you off at home." She pauses from trying to pull me up.

"I don't want to go home. Let's just drive somewhere, get some food. Let's go watch the stars or something."

"Your wish is my command."

*

Megan and I end up at a burger joint somewhere downtown. The place is crowded with people but we were able to get in due to Megan's connections with the owner. The people in the line were more than angry with us for getting in so fast. This is why you have to book reservations ahead of time, people!

We are sat at a table for two eating and drinking. I know I should've ordered a burger at a burger joint but I was really in the mood for chicken and waffles. Megan ordered a veggie burger to "maintain her diet". Although the both of us were in the mood for some beer, you can tell we're both kind of wreck.

We're still dressed in the dresses we wore to the wedding. We look out of place but we really don't care at the moment. All we care about right now is devouring the food in front of us. We don't say anything, we just eat.

Finally, after my last bite of chicken and waffles I ask, "So why were you in New York?"

Megan doesn't look up from her burger and continues to chew. She takes a big swig of beer and swallows. "Why do you want to know?"

"You completely just disappeared without a word. I kind of want to know why." I play with the chicken bones on my plate.

"It's really a long story; I don't want to bore you with it." She finally finishes her last bite.

"Megan..." I look up at her. She's looking down at her beer.

"I just needed to get away." She takes another swig of her beer.

"From what?"

"I really don't want to talk about it right now, Sam." She finishes her beer and calls for the waiter. The waiter immediately comes over.

"Can we have deep fried ice cream?" It looks like Megan comes here often. The waiter writes the order into his notepad and leaves.

"You're not already full from that burger?" I push my plate away.

"It's not for me. It's for you. To drown your tears into it." She takes her napkin and wipes the corners of her mouth with it.

"Wow, thank you but I'm not that sad."

"Are you sure? If I remember correctly, you just cried about fifteen gallons of tears today."

"I mean, what am I supposed to do when the girl I love decided to marry someone else?"

"You eat deep fried ice cream, that's what." After she finishes speaking, the waiter comes by with the dessert. He sets down two spoons, one for each of us.

I take the spoon in my hand and take a scoop of the dessert. I shovel it into my mouth and I taste the sweetness of the dessert. It definitely helps with my situation. For a second I forget about Alicia and Camille. But immediately after shovelling the last of it into my mouth, I go back to my depressed state.