Ch.82 - Not Like Magnets

Start from the beginning

What wafts between them now could be likened to cold pollution filled air, tainted by caring so much that they got in their own way and forgot that what they were playing with something that could either easily back fire or be a dud (or be beautiful and perfect and fulfilling). Like it could be radio-active or elating-ly proactive. Though really it was a remedied rhythm she had perpetrated by keeping secrets and fuelling distrust that got them here to this dismal state.

Left to her own cold demise and petty fate of the person who thrives off of the life of others.

Rolling back her shoulders from being jammed up into her ears, she walks on stiffly. A hammering heart that detests confidence. That thumps in worried rhythms and triggers her brain into every hazardest train of thought as another cold traitorous chill runs deep to the bone. Begging for release, for warmth that strides just out of reach in the form of long arms and a beating heart.

Should she look back at him, halt whatever behaviour this is and talk, or what, she doesn't know. In all honestly, all she wants is to clasp a grasp around him and ask him if he's okay. If there's one answer she can beg to know, is if his cancer is still in remission or not (she's not privy to that information anymore but damn it, she will not at least torture herself with the want to ask).

((She misses his heated hugs, the all enveloping ones where they were made into one. Even at the-the f-funeral, it was something, but not enough. Not nearly enough. She misses the times being locked away in that office of his without a worry of the world cuddled up close on that couch like she would never know the cold world she had once become accustomed to. Only knowing that when she had to say goodbye, she would be going home to sweet Moll's clinging embrace.))

Peeking in shyly past the kitchen wall still decorated in a few Valentines Day hearts and cards, she tries to smile something of assurance into the warm festive room she leads the two of them into, filled with friendly friends chattering, but it just doesn't spread right.

Half glancing back to her once professor with a polite smile that looks far more strained than genuine before proclaiming softly as even as she can to the bustling room, "Hey guys, Robert's here," They don't stop speaking but a barrage of twisting heads and studying gazes travel their way as everyone's in the midst of getting all the food onto the table in varying stages of standing, sitting, and peering into the well stocked fridge.

George with a mouth full of food bulging his cheeks, mumbles a first warm genuine welcoming from his seat at the table. "Hello again, Mr.Downey." A few laughs accompanied by Jay who hasn't moved from where he was before, pats the smaller man on the back and asks if Georges parents ever taught him about eating with his mouth full.

"Hey, hey. Come on in," Izzie's already rounding the counter to grab two plates with an added "Glad to see you made it" just as Charlottes ill timed "Yeah, he's here." Is heard. Light and precise as she feels the heat rising to her face and reddening the tips of her ears trying to look back at Robert who stands with a firm pressed smile.

"Hey; I hope I got the right stuff," Robert shifts from hip to hip, looking stiff and absolutely unrelaxed, that matching his carefully controlled tone, only withering to Charlottes in tune ears "--The dinner smells really good, by the way."

Nodding to the compliment, the blonde adds, "That's the exact right cranberry goods, you really didn't have to."

"I didn't mind."

And Casey's eyes, smiling warmly and welcoming, must have given the room a chat because Jay tips his chin to Robert in welcoming (albeit begrudged) just as Izzie with a plate in each hand bumps her shoulder to Robert's with a clear earnest apology about earlier.