Three

I wake up in the passenger seat of someone's car. Looking over, I find Cal in the driver's seat. Cal looks over at me. "Cal," I ask, "where are we going?"
"I don't know," Cal says. "Anywhere but here."
"What about my dad?," I question, a little icey. "I don't know about you, but I've got some questions to ask that guy." Cal looks at me.
"Aria I'm not kidnapping you, for God sake," Cal says, concentrating on the road. "I just think we need to talk about this." I sigh as we pull up at mine and Cal's special place. A forest preserve. Cal parks the car, and we jump out of the car. Cal slings his arm around my shoulder as we walk into the preserve.
Cal and I sit side by side next to a small creek, with me leaning on Cal's shoulder. "So. . .what are you going to do about your dad?," Cal asks. I sigh and pick my head up off of his shoulder.
"Not much I can do," I say. "He's my legal guardian now. I don't have a choice."
"You could come live with me," Cal says. I giggle.
"Cal, your mom's the one always asking me if you can live at my house. I'm sure she doesn't want to take on the responsibility of another kid."
"Oh come on, my mom loves you! She'd be more than happy to have you live with us." I gasp as Cal suddenly wraps his arms around me and rolls on top of me. "Aria," Cal says, "I can't lose you." He puts a gentle hand on my cheek. I feel a tear slip down my face.
"I want nothing to do with him," I say, my voice straining as I struggle to keep from crying.
"Oh Ari. I know. I know you don't."
"He missed all of my birthdays. Never called. Never sent mail. He didn't even pay his goddamn child support!"
"I know Aria. Shh. I'm here."
"He didn't come to Kevin's funeral either! Now he thinks he has the right to just come in and-" I stop as tears burst from my eyes and I start crying hysterically. Cal picks me up off the ground and holds me close to him, murmuring soft words of comfort. "I'll never forgive him!," I cry out through my sobs. "I hate that man!"
"Well now," says a voice from behind Cal, "that's no way to treat a family member." I open my eyes to find none other than the crued mister Tom Lalcon. I glare at him, then wiggle my way out of Cal's grip.
Standing up, I march over to the man that I resemble so much of. "You heard me," I snarl venomously. "I hate you! You abandoned your family and left me to grow up without a father! You didn't even show up to your own son's funeral, you sick bastard. It's you who should be dead! Not Kevin!" I fall back on the ground as Tom's hand connects with my cheek, delivering a stinging blow.
"Better watch how you speak to me Aria," Tom says calmly. "Or I will make you move to Minnesota."
"Hey!," Cal yells, racing over to help me up. "You don't hit girls, asshole!"
"Watch it boy!," Tom barks at Cal. "Just because you're not my kid doesn't mean I won't smack you too."
"Oh yeah dick head?," Cal challenges. "I'll mess you up!" Just as I prepare to stop Cal from getting into a full on fight with Tom, Tom turns in the direction of the preserve parking lot.
"Whatever," Tom says, beginning to walk away. "Just make sure you have her home by six." With that, Tom disappears into the woods. I blush as I notice that Cal is clenching the front hem of my shirt, exposing my. . .you know what I'm talking about.
"I'll kill him," Cal sneers. He quickly looks down at me, then at my shirt. He blushes dark red and releases my shirt. "Aria. . .can I tell you something?," Cal asks, bringing me closer.
"Of course Cal," I say. "Anything." Cal gulps, and sweat begins dripping down his forehead. Cal pulls my face closer to his.
"F-Forget it," Cal stutters, pushing me gently away from him. He looks away. So do I. "Aria," Cal says. I look up at him. "Why don't you come and stay at my place tonight? I can't say I'm a big fan of your dad." I smile and fall into Cal's arms.
"Yeah," I say, "I think I will."