Chapter Twenty-One

"Come, Florence," Erik said, taking the arm of who he presumed was his child. He glanced at her small face, then to Meg's down cast one. They were both disappointed. But Erik wasn't about Raoul or- God forbid- Christine catching sight of them. Florence sighed sadly, but nodded. "I am very sorry, to both of you.. But darling, it just isn't safe." Neither of the two women spoke, and Erik took it as a notion he would be receiving the cold shoulder.

Growling curses under his breath, Erik tightened his grip on his daughter and pulled her through the parting crowd. The music stopped as the players noticed the disturbance and the lack of dancing. Erik stopped at the front door to hurriedly mutter something to the speaker beside the doors. The speaker looked frightened but nodded all the same as Erik tugged his daughter from the sights of the confused on looking crowd. Whispers began coursing through the large room, and the real Florence, disguised as Meg, took a moment to listen in.

"What is the matter?" one woman whispered to her companion.

"Perhaps the poor doll doesn't feel well.." an elderly gent suggested. The speaker up front cleared his throat.

"I am sorry to announce that the de Phant's were unable to stay for the rest of the evening," he called, projecting his voice so it reached every ear in the place, "It seems they have gotten a message that a close friend needs their immediate assistance…" There were some mutterings, but soon the doors to theater, and people began flocking inside as Florence was dragged off to ready for the opera she had written.

~-~-~

"Florence would you stop your pouting and get that mask off your face! You are not going back to the opera I won't allow it!" Erik went off, after asking his daughter many times to remove the mask from her face. Once again she shook her fake blonde head. Erik growled and stomped toward her. He buried his fingers within the fake hair and pulled it roughly, receiving a scream from his daughter when the wig… didn't come off.

Erik's eyes widened as he took a step back to watch the lady who was supposed to be his daughter rubbed her now sore scalp. Erik then became very angry very fast. He approached the lady who quickly stood and ran in the opposite direction, only to be caught by Erik in his tight embrace.

"Where is my daughter?" Erik growled in the imposters ear.

"She's in my place," the soft voice of Meg Giry whispered. Erik yanked Meg around to face him, and then ripped the mask off her face. Meg screamed and turned her head to the side as Erik threw the white porcelain mask down so it shattered into too many pieces to count.

"You little traitor, Meg Giry," Erik growled, dangerously low, "Do you realize what you have done?"

"E-Erik please," Meg begged softly, trying to pull away from Erik's iron grip on her wrist, "Please, this is her chance! Her chance to do something for once and not be locked down here! Erik, please, you already took away the boy she loved-"

"That boy," Erik hissed, letting go of Meg and pushing her aside so she fell on her bottom, "He is the cause of this! I'll kill him!"

"No!" Meg shrieked, picking herself up and running to grab Erik, "Erik! Listen to me, she loves him! She loves him like you loved Christine!" This last part caused Erik to stop his attempt to get through the tunnel that would lead to the stables.

"Don't say that, Meg. You don't know-"

"I don't know what Erik?" Meg almost whispered, seeming hurt, "You don't think I know how you looked at her? The way you never look at me even though I have been nothing but faithful to you? Even though I have given you everything? Even though I have given you my heart, my soul, and my existence?" Erik felt guilt rise within him as he realized what she said was true. She had given him everything, and what had he given her in return? Nothing.. Nothing at all…

"Meg-"

"I know what I am talking about Erik. The way she speaks of him.. the way he speaks of her.. They are in love!" Meg finished, shaking her head before whispering, "I know what love is Erik. I know because I am in love. With you."

Erik began to open his mouth, but stopped when music filled the lair.

"Go. Watch Florence. Let her know it's okay," Meg told him, waving her hand for him to leave. Erik seemed torn for a moment, and Meg saw that helpless look, but chose to ignore it for now. "Go," she said one last time, and this time Erik nodded, and went. Meg waited for his footsteps to fade before she took off down the tunnel that led towards the stables. She had a job to finish, and two hearts to unite.

______________________________________________________

So what do you think is going to happen? Will Meg's plan turn out to be a good thing, or will everything come tumbling down? Comment, vote, and fan, and soon you will see how all this turns out!