ten ⁂ wizard chess

Start from the beginning

    Scarlett hopped out of bed, putting a hand on her head. "If I didn't have such a big headache right now, you'd be dead." She tried to stand tall in front of Scorpius, but her forehead reached just a little above his nose. Scarlett jabbed a finger in his chest. "You gave me a fainting fancy! What the hell?"

    "You ate a Joyous Jelly! You acted as if you were high!" Scorpius argued.

    "What the hell is that?"

    Scorpius sighed in a chuckle. "Its a candy from Weasley's Wizard Wheezes that makes you so happy you act like a 5 year old. It was made to give to your parents or grandparents. But you," He moved her hand off his chest and pointed his finger into Scarlett's, "ate one and was annoying as hell and dropped your book in the bath, stole my ring, almost wandered off in the hallway in only your bathing suit-"

    "Yeah, yeah." Scarlett rolled her eyes, pushing Scorpius' pointed finger away. "I remember everything that happened. Its just the candy made my primal instinct to play. It was so weird."

    Scorpius laughed. "You did ask me if I wanted to play a game."

    Scarlett laughed with him, but then noticed she was still wearing a bathing suit. As her cheeks turned a bright pink, she slipped on a shirt and sweat pants.

    Scorpius tried not to say anything, for his brain was screaming, 'Muggle clothes! She's a mudblood!'.

    And while Scarlett's brain was reminding her how mean and rude Scorpius was, she was lonely, so she blurted, "So you want to play a game?"

    Scorpius wanted to reject her and go back to his studies, but he was lonely as well, for all his friends were with their families. "Yeah sure. Wizard's chess?"

    Scarlett nodded, following Scorpius out of the room and into the common room. She almost stopped in her tracks, realizing something. "How'd you know which room was mine?"

    Scorpius opened up his mouth to speak, but Scarlett shook her head. "Never mind. Dont answer that."

    Scorpius laughed, falling onto the couch and setting up all the pieces.

    "Is it any different than normal chess?" Scarlett asked, pulling up a chair across from him.

    "Muggles have chess?" Scorpius asked and Scarlett nodded.

    "Yeah, but I've only played once or twice with my dad, so sure." Scorpius then explained the rules, Scarlett trying to follow along.

⁂    ⁂    ⁂

    "I won! Suck it Scorpius!" Scarlett jumped up and laughed, after winning her first game. "You made a rookie mistake!"

    Scorpius crossed his arms and smirked. "I let you win. Merry Christmas Eve."

    "I'm going to pretend you didn't say that." Scarlett plopped back down.

    He laughed. "Hey, at least you were determined. We played at least 30 games, which I won of course."

    Scarlett rolled her eyes, laughing. "You're the one with experience. I've only watched Clary and Olivia play."

    Scorpius noticed the playfulness in her expression fade at the mention of their names. He heard about how the two girls were fighting about Albus, and how Scarlett ran crying through the Gryffindor common rooms, which all his friends laughed about. Scorpius knew it wasn't his fault. Even though he told Scarlett to tell that to Olivia, he still doesn't have control over Clary's anger. And it worked out for Albus, because now they were dating.

    "Well, they were terrible friends for not showing you this game. Its basically guaranteed better than the muggle version." Scorpius half smiled, and Scarlett let out a weak chuckle.

    "Yeah. The wizarding world is way better than the muggle world, except the boatload of work we have to do here and all that crap our DA teacher had to go through." Scarlett stifled a yawn, noticing it was almost midnight.

    "Yeah, my dad was part of that." Scorpius said, not mentioning what side he was working for. Changing the subject quickly he added, "True on the work. I cant get that dumb summoning spell to work."

    "I'm a little tired. I'll show you after breakfast tomorrow if you want." Scarlett yawned once more and heading back up to her room. "Thanks for playing with me, I usually don't have anyone to talk to during Christmas break."

    "Well in your defense, they're missing out." Scorpius said right before Scarlett closed the door behind her. He hoped she hadn't heard for it had just slipped out. He didn't understand, it was hard for him to choose his words carefully around her. Everything he was thinking just fell out his mouth, but she didn't seem to mind.