Chapter 39

ENDGAMES.

Rebellion in this land shall lose his sway

Meeting the check of such another day:

And since this business so fair is done,

Let us not leave until all our own be won.

                                                                                  -The First part of King Henry IV.

Richard Stanford had been thrust into the position of "Advisor to the King," partly because of his age (he was twelve years older than Alan and Gordy, who coincidentally shared a birthday), and partly because of the natural deference that most people accorded physicians. And although he had no real desire to lead, his calm head and analytical temperament had made him the natural choice for second in command.

Alan had proven an effective (if brooding) leader, as they made their way across the drastically altered landscape of America's Heartland. His drive, his inner passion to seek redress for his wife's sacrifice, had left him little patience for anything that deflected them from their mission. And his focus had provided a rallying point for them all.

Alan believed that the quiet boy was the only one who might lead them to that which he sought. Reed had promised him that her new companion could deliver them safely to the location of object of Alan's fondest desires: The alien artifact known as the Horn.

But fear of this strangely ineffable creature among the travelers was considerable. Even Stanford admitted (in Reed's absence) that the boy gave him "the jitters."

Nevertheless, their need for a solution was so desperate, and Alan's own thirst for revenge so great, that they entrusted themselves into the care of the quiet boy.

He proved an uncanny guide. Before joining up with him, they had been forced to travel in darkness. Alien activity seemed heavier during the daylight hours, precipitating the need for stealthy, but painfully slow progress at night.

But with the boy acting as their guide they encountered little resistance as they moved into the West. He seemed to possess an unerring knack for finding the most efficient routes.

Sitting in the back of the Ford, Reed relayed his instructions, while the boy stared out the window like a wonder-struck tourist seeing Paris for the first time, passively observing whatever took his inscrutable fancy as they passed through devastation and emptiness.

Gordy Lundgren had managed to stay drunk for much of the trip West.

They'd had to detour around Philadelphia. The roads in and out of the area were clogged with cars, many of them empty, or containing only the dead. Doubling back up to New York State, before finally finding an open highway had taken another two days.

During this time keeping off the flask he kept filled in his knapsack had grown increasingly more difficult. Finally Gordy had gotten very drunk last night.

Like many heavy drinkers, Gordy didn't suffer from hangovers. He simply "woke up," after a night of hard drinking; a little dry mouthed, but reasonably functional.

But Gordy had been drinking so much since they'd left Connecticut that Alan had finally threatened him in Ohio, telling him that if he didn't sober up, they would move on without him. Although Gordy's drinking was done mostly after they had pulled in for the day, off to himself when everyone else was asleep or otherwise occupied, Alan believed nevertheless that his drinking posed a potential threat to them all.