Fallen Angels

I sighed in annoyance as I finished off drying my hair with the towel after a long and hot shower; sometimes my hair could be a piece of work. I wondered how I didn't chop it all off by now? Maybe I could pull off the pixie haircut, after all my mother had managed to pull it off and they do say that I'm the spitting image of her. My thoughts were interrupted when the phone started ringing. I shuddered in disgust as I imagined myself departing with my long locks and quickly jogged towards the phone stand downstairs.

 "Hello?" I spoke up as I pressed the phone against my ear and made my way back to my bedroom.

 "Arielle." It was my father. He sounded displeased.

 "Oh Papa, how are you?" I asked, my eyes wandered the hallway and realised it was getting stuffy in the area. I cracked open a window before grasping the fact that my father was talking to me meanwhile I was drifting off into another world, something which was occurring frequently these days.

 "I'm good, how have you been? Anything happened?" He asked, his tone sounded unsure. My face was starting to burn a little as I walked around the room, hesitant.

"Uh nothing really...just took a shower, how's business?" I replied nonchalantly even though on the inside I was feeling wary of why my father was asking me the probing questions.

 "Oh the usual, mother tells me you spoke to her very rudely over the phone," he chuckled now showing the side he rarely showed in front of others.

 "She deserves it and you know it, I can go on and the list the reasons why she annoys me and the list would still be unfinished by the time this phone call ended," I explained as I leaned against the wall, resisting the urge to roll my eyes.

 "She's your mother," he cut me off. I could imagine him walking around the office with the biggest grin on his face, he always found it amusing whenever mother and I had a small squabble. Instantly, I missed him and my heart swelled with memories.

 "I think I managed to grasp that a couple of years ago, your money did provide me with a good education, you know," I grumbled as I chuckled lightly.

 "Of course, I know you're an intelligent girl...but do remember to close the windows, you don't want to let strangers in at night," he mused.

 "Wait, what?" I burst out as I froze in my spot. My blood ran cold as I stared at the window which I opened a few minutes ago. How did he know that I opened the window?

 "Uhm...you know...people open the windows after they take a shower, don't they?" He asked sounding hesitant, something he rarely sounded like. I tried to come up with something but my mouth went dry.

 "Yeah they do, you're really creepy sometimes Papa" I breathed out a sigh of relief as I skipped towards the window.

 "Haha! I'm just looking out for you angel, tell me, do you need anything new?"

 "No, I already got your car thanks," I smiled fondly as my father's 'money can solve everything' attitude began to show through.

 "I meant the furniture, I gathered you were getting bored of the style of the house."

 "No...thanks...everything's good," I choked out realising that most of the furniture was ruined because of the recent break-in. But he didn't know that...or did he?

 "Alright, I will be off now...your mother wants to talk to you, make sure you eat properly," he warned me before I could hear the phone being handed over to someone.

 "Oh that's just...great," I muttered, contemplating whether I should just hang up now to skip the bitter conversation.

 "Arielle, how are you?" My mother's accent never seemed to amuse me, she was trying so hard to sound posh.