Prologue ~ Goodbyes

The sound of tape coming out of the dispenser pierced my eardrums as I sealed the last box. My room was bare, the black and white striped walls were bare, and my red carpet was fluffed up and cleaned for the next family to move in.

"Elle, hurry up! I hope you're almost finished, we're about to leave for the airport!" my mother called up to me, making me cringe.

I didn't want to leave, but mom didn't know this. All she knew was that I was a troublemaker and she had a new job. Dad didn't really care that I was upset, although I know he noticed. He walked in on me once, drinking beer and crying, and that was the day they had told me we were moving.

He walked out without a word though, his face was emotionless when he walked in, and it was emotionless when he walked out.

Mom thought that moving down to Miami would be good for me, but I beg to differ. I may seem like a cold, psychotic, troublemaker, but I have feelings to. I have friends that were one of a kind and accepted me in every way, even with my faults. They knew the outside shell and the inside shell like my parents never would.

But what the hell, right? No one asked my opinion on the matter, all they cared about was the fact that they were going to be gone more. All they cared about was not having to be the reason I was as I am, because how could they cause something they weren't here for?

"Elle." My head snapped up to see my best friend standing in the doorway.

Kevin's eyes were blood-shot, making his brown eyes look black, his clothes were wrinkled, and his curly brown hair was rumpled. All in all, he looked like the hot mess that is my best friend.

"Kevin." I rushed over to him, wrapping my arms around him and him returning the hug.

"I'm going to miss yah." His voice was soft and emotional, something uncommon for him.

"Yeah I know you will." I mentally pulled up my big-girl-panties and smirked, trying to reassure him that I was fine and not dying on the inside, which I was.

"That ego of yours is going to get you into a lot of trouble one day." He chuckled, accepting the fact that I had no desire to give up to my emotions.

"Hey, the bigger the better." I laughed with him and his eyes scanned my room.

"What the..." his eyes widened. "I had no idea your room was this huge! It was always stuffed with other things."

"Yeah, I forgot myself. I know my TV took up a lot of the room; my queen-sized bed didn't help maintain space either. And my guitars...well they absolutely had to have their own space."

He grinned and ran a hand over a large cardboard box that came to my waist. "This place was like my second home, where am I going to go when you're gone?"

"Already arranged brother, I grilled Brandon into leaving an open-door-invitation to you or else I would personally come down here and kick his ass."

"Sounds promising." He laughed. "I'll hold you to that."

"I know you will Kev." A small smile came onto my face, and I felt the tears welling up in my eyes. "I don't want to go."

"Elle." He rushed over to me, holding me in his arms as I dug my head into his chest. "I know you don't, but if all goes as we planned you can move back next year?"

"Yeah." I mumbled into his shirt.

"Come on now, you don't want to start crying in front of everyone, do you?" my head snapped up and his eyes twinkled as a smile broke across his face.

"Everyone's here?" he nodded and I rushed downstairs.

"Elle!" Jasmine rushed up to me, slamming into my body with the full force of her bear hugs.

"Jazz!" I hugged her back; her black hair now had neon orange tips to match her outfit of the day. "I'm so glad you came!"

"We wouldn't miss it for the world." I looked up to see a crying Trisha, her blonde hair was windblown and her face was red and puffy. Her normally stormy blue eyes were bright blue with fresh tears upon seeing me.

"Trish, oh don't cry hon." I held out my right arm and she joined Jazz's and mine's hug. "I'm going to come back."

"Yeah but it's senior year! Summer is almost over! We were all going to Jet Ski and go sailing and tan on the beach! You know how much I need a tan! I don't want to do any of it without you!" she wailed, and Freddy brought over a box of tissues for her.

She pulled away when Jazz did, and then I had two more people left. Freddy and Christopher.

"Well are you two waiting for, an invitation? You know I'm not good with planning." I held open my arms and they chuckled while giving me a hug.

"I'm going to miss you Martin." Freddy said, ruffling my already messy hair.

"Yeah, no one will ever help you with the things I did. I mean really? Who in God's name is going to prank the teachers and then use those pictures to get them to do things for us? I'm a mastermind and I know it." I bowed and everyone laughed, breaking the emotional tension.

"Got that right, I don't even know anyone who would attempt to pull those complicated pranks. I mean what about the frog one? Pull open his drawer, making the chair sink, which triggered the cage and let the frog jump on him? That was flawless!" I laughed at Chris's admiration.

"Thanks guys, I'm really happy that-"

"Elle!" my mom screeched, interrupting my moment. "I swear if you aren't out here in ten minutes we are leaving you behind!"

"Stay in for eleven!" Chris begged, and everyone laughed.

"You know she's lying. I have to go now." I took a deep breath and looked around at my friends. "I left something in my room for you guys, they're labeled with your names on it. I don't want you to open them yet, wait until I walk out of the house."

"But why?" Kevin asked, gazing up the stairs.

"I'm not a mushy person." I gave him my signature smirk and rushed upstairs, pulling my hair into a messy ponytail and grabbing the last two boxes from my room.

I stepped cautiously down the steps and when both of my feet were outside the house I called out to say goodbye and was met by the sounds of feet barreling up the stairs. My eyes stung and I loaded the boxes into the back of the moving truck, but I slammed down the door and hopped in.

"Everyone ready?" my mom asked, and no one responded.

I looked at the house, and just as she put her foot on the gas I saw all of my friends running out the door and towards the truck. Tears were streaming down Jazz's and Trish's faces, while the boys had pained looks on their faces. I had given everyone but Kevin the same gift, which was a picture of me and the receiver and then the nickname I had given all of them when we were nine. Kevin was different though, although he got the picture of him and I, it was a bigger picture. I had put pictures of him and I since we were babies to now. I had slipped a note into the back, telling him that I would never forget him and that I hope to see him soon, and I hoped he found it.

I looked in the side mirror and saw Kevin with his head in his hands as he squatted down. I wanted to comfort him, like when we were children, but I couldn't.

"Goodbye." I whispered, looking ahead at the road.

A.N. I'm going to try and upload weekly on this story! Picture of Kevin on the side! All I'm going to say is:

COMMENT ~ VOTE ~ ADD!!