Chapter 15 - Silence

Beginne am Anfang

"This isn't like you though Char" she replied and there was a grimace on her pretty face.

I shook my head and moved to sit on the edge of my bed. "I can't get him out of my head Roze. No matter what I'm doing, he's always in my thoughts and it's killing me knowing he doesn't care for me like I do for him. I'm desperate, and I know I'm being horrible to Nick, I know" I whispered.

"Oh sweetie, you're not being horrible. You probably made the guy's year by agreeing to go on a date with him" Roze joked. I laughed softly.

"That's dramatic".

"True though" I rolled my eyes at the girl.

"Come on, walk me downstairs" I asked, standing and slipping my jacket on, buttoning it up and tying a scarf around my neck.

We walked downstairs arm in arm and stepped into the common room. Fred's eyes were on me straight away and I blushed slightly, looking away. "Where are you going?" Ryan asked, looking me up and down. "You look beautiful".

"Thanks Ryan, actually I'm going back to Hogsmeade" I informed them.

"Yeah, she has a date!" Ari grinned. I sucked in a breath and looked at Fred. His expression hadn't changed, still just curious.

"With Nick" Roze added before anyone inevitably asked. Still no change. He just nodded and smiled at me, but it seemed a little distant, cold even. I saw George look over at Fred with a frown.

"Well go on, he'll be waiting" Ari rushed, pushing me towards the door. I laughed at her, but looked over my shoulder at Fred, he'd stopped smiled and avoided my eyes when he saw me looking. I frowned, I didn't understand his reaction.

"Bye Char" Ari sung once I was walking down the hall. I waved back to her and made my way to the main entrance.

"Have I told you how beautiful you look?" Nick asked and I laughed, rolling my eyes.

"A few times actually" I replied. He just smiled back at me.

I looked down at my uneaten half of our chocolate cake. It didn't appeal to me at all and I moved it around a little more with my fork.

"You ok Charlotte?" Nicked asked. This was also something he'd asked me a few times tonight.

I nodded, forcing another smile on my face. "Of course" I told him. He nodded as well, looking at me intently. I looked away.

I heard Nick sigh, and when I looked back at him, he had a small smile on his face. He held a spoon in his hand and flipped it around his fingers, making it spin between each one.

"I hope he knows how lucky he is" Nick spoke. I raised an eyebrow.

"Who?"

"The guy that's stolen your heart" he told me. I stared back at him, not knowing what to say.

"Nick..."

"It's ok Char, you're amazing and a great girl, but I know when to give in" he replied with a laugh. "Even if it doesn't seem like it" he added, referring to his persistence with me. I chuckled and reached for his hand.

"I'm sorry, have I been that horrible?" I asked.

"Not at all, but I can feel it. You're hearts not with this, it's wherever he is" Nick shrugged.

"I'm sorry, I really am" I told him, a small frown on my face.

"No, don't be. I could tell before I even asked you out again. I guess I was just ridiculously hopeful" he laughed. I smiled.

"Want to get some ice cream and walk back?" I asked him. He nodded and offered his arm when we stood. I smiled and slipped mine through his as we walked out the door, stopped to get a mint choc and a strawberry twist and headed back to the castle.

"He knows how lucky he is, doesn't he?" Nick asked just as we reached the main entrance.

I sighed. "Actually no, he has no idea that I like him" I replied. Nick shook his head like it was a ridiculous statement.

"You should-"

"Stop!" I exclaimed, holding my hand to his mouth and laughing. "No more advice to the poor sappy girl whose affections aren't returned. I can't take anymore" I laughed. Nick smiled sadly at me.

He leaned over and placed a warm kiss on my cheek. "Goodnight Charlotte" he said.

"Goodnight Nick" I replied and started up the stairs while Nick headed the other way, to where, I hadn't a clue.

I walked up to the Gryffindor common room, thankful that the Fat Lady didn't pester or be annoying tonight, accepting the password easily. It was almost curfew so there's usually not too many students hanging about the common room on a Sunday night, quickly trying to get homework done for Monday morning, but tonight there was no one except Fred sitting silently by the fire. He looked so lost in thought that he hadn't heard me come in.

"Fred" I said quietly to try to avoid startling him. He glanced up, and when he saw me, jumped from the couch like something had bitten him. My eyebrows furrowed.

"Charlotte" he breathe my name, sadness in his voice. I stepped forward but Fred stayed behind the couch, blocked from me. "Where's Nick?" he asked, saying his name with distaste.

"He went somewhere. I didn't ask" I replied. Fred sighed, shaking his head.

"Right" he breathed, and turned to walk away. I stared after him in shock. He'd never just walked away from me before.

"Fred" I squeaked his name, calling after him.

"I don't want to talk Charlotte" he sighed, stopping but not turning around. He was almost to the stairs to the boys dormitories.

"Are you mad at me?" I asked.

Silence. He didn't say anything, didn't even look at me.

"Why?" I asked, I could feel the tears begin to brim my eyes. I took a step toward him without thinking. I always felt the need to be close to him. He must have heard my footstep because he moved away too.

"I don't want to talk" he replied and left. That was it. He just left.