Chapter 5

Magnus frowned at the sound of a knock at his door. He did not approve of being disturbed at this time in the evening when he wished to sit and read, thinking about the happenings of the day. The first time, he chose to ignore it... but the person at the door knocked again, more repetitively this time.

"Walker!" he called, feeling to lazy to answer the door himself. He heard Camille's subjugate unlock the door followed by a conversation between himself and the person at the door. Magnus looked up as Walker entered the room, followed by a brown haired, rather worried looking woman and the red-haired girl he had grown so accustomed to seeing.

"Magnus-" she began, her voice urgent.

"No," he interrupted, holding up a hand to silence her. The day had not gone the way he had hoped it would and tensions between Camille and him were more strained than ever before so his mood was not exactly very good. "Your next appointment isn't due until next month."

"I know that!" she said. Her voice had a slight tremor to it, Magnus noted. "But this is serious, Magnus. Look!"

She thrust a crumpled piece of paper out at him and he received it with a spark of interest. There was something about the urgent tone of her voice that made him decide not to get Walker to send her back out of the house.

After briefly observing it, Magnus could make out that it was a rune. The rune of angelic power. He looked up at Clary who was standing next to her mother, innocent and wide-eyed and felt his heart go out to her.

He handed the piece of paper back to Jocelyn, saying, "So what do you want me to do?"

Jocelyn looked him in the eye. "What you have been doing for the past few years- Get rid of her memories."

Magnus sighed and shut the book he had been reading. "You're not protecting her, Jocelyn, you're deceiving her," he told her with more anger than he had meant to.

She did not waver but looked at him boldly. "I don't want her to have to go through what I had to."

"But Jocelyn, not all Shadowhunters are like Val-"

"Just do it. I'm paying you for it, is that not good enough?" she cut in, her voice icy cold.

"Whatever you say. You are only my customer but let me tell you that I do not agree with this procedure one bit."

Jocelyn didn't reply but kept her eyes fixed on Magnus as he gestured for Clary to sit down on the couch next to him which she did so, warily.

Her eyes flicked from Magnus to her mother.

"Mummy, I don't wanna do this," she said meekly.

Jocelyn shook her head sadly. "It's for your own good darling."