Chapter 1

"Simon! Simon! Throw it here!" squealed Clary, waving her hands in the air to indicate where she wanted the ball.

Simon's mother, Elaine Lewis, watched as her son flung the ball forwards with perhaps a little too much enthusiasm, completely missing Clary's hands and landing in a sandpit a few feet away.

Giggling, Clary ran over to retrieve it, her carroty orange hair bouncing against her slight shoulders.

Jocelyn glanced down at the watch wrapped around her wrist. It had been a gift given to her by Luke on her 21st birthday and she had treasured it ever since. The things that Valentine had given her, on the other hand, she'd gotten rid of ages ago, even before Clary had been born. She had made up her mind a long time ago that she would do whatever it took to protect her daughter from the Shadow World, even if it meant having to hire the High Warlock of Brooklyn to wipe Clary's memories.

"Clary, come on! It's time to go home now," called Jocelyn.

The sun had just begun to set, tinging the sky with beautiful shades of pink and fiery orange. Jocelyn immediately felt the urge to paint the stunning scene with the lovely sunset and the long shadows being cast across the grassy play area.

"Awwww," groaned the children in unison.

Chuckling, Elaine Lewis brushed back her frizzy brown hair and shouted her daughter's name across the play area, where a group of young girls were pushing each other on the swings. Rebecca turned around, waving to her friends before shrugging on her bright yellow minion coat and skipping towards her mother.

"Mu-ummy?" began Clary slowly.

"Yee-ees?" Jocelyn said teasingly.

"Can I go to Simon's tomorrow? Pleeeease?"

"Pretty pretty please?" begged Simon hopefully.

Jocelyn turned to Elaine, smiling.

"Is that okay with you?" she asked. "Don't feel obligated to-"

"No, it's fine with me!" interrupted Elaine. "I have to take Becca to her ballet lesson at half past four but feel free to drop Clary off any time before that."

"That's great. Thank you," agreed Jocelyn with a quick smile before giving Clary a nod.
"Yay! Thanks mummy!" said Clary, running up to her mother.

"But only if we go home now," added Jocelyn, looking worriedly at the setting sun. She hated being outside during the later hours of the day because it was impossible to tell whether or not there were demons lurking around, especially as she had completely forgotten how to use her Shadowhunting skills. Not only this, but she'd hidden away her stele in fear that Clary might find it and it had been years since she had used it to draw runes on herself, or anybody else. And without runes, she didn't have the capability to sharpen her senses of hearing and agility, just in case a demon happened to attack her.

She snapped out of her thoughts as Clary obediently waved Simon goodbye before grabbing onto her hand. Jocelyn flashed Elaine a smile and bid her good night before they headed out of the park and in the direction of their flat.

"Bye Clary!" called Simon after her. "See you tomorrow!

---------------

Jocelyn placed a steaming bowl of pasta onto the dining table, scooping a generous portion into Clary's plate, which she had painted meticulously herself.

"Yaaayy pasta!" cheered Clary and grabbed the fork that Jocelyn had placed next to the plate.

"Don't eat it yet, it's very hot," warned Jocelyn, reaching over Clary's head to move her hand away.

She settled herself on a chair beside Clary's and spooned some pasta into her own plate.

Jocelyn had always been told that Clary was a mirror image of her, with her curls of flamey hair and bright green eyes. And she was happy about it. As terrible as the thought of a mother hating her child seemed, it was true. Jocelyn had detested her first child, with his dark, hollow, tunnel-like eyes and clawed fingers. In fact, Jonathan should probably be referred to as an 'it' rather than a 'him'. She shuddered involuntarily. It just hadn't been right... and it had been what had caused her to run away- seemingly like a coward, but she had wanted to protect her second child and make sure that the child didn't turn out like her first.

And thankfully she hadn't. Jocelyn glanced lovingly at Clary who was busy digging into her pasta despite her mother's advice. Tomato sauce was smeared around her mouth and it made Jocelyn smile. She was so grateful to have Clary in her life. She was, after all, the only bit of family that she had left. Well, there was Valentine but she no longer classed herself as his wife. And then there was Luke... Jocelyn felt a pang of sadness when she thought about him. He had been such a good friend. Constantly supportive, patient and always happy to listen to what she had to say. But the last she remembered of him was when her ex-husband had told him to kill himself. She grimaced at the thought. Since then she had heard nothing about his whereabouts.

"Mummy," said Clary, bringing Jocelyn out of her memories. "Your pasta's getting cold."

"Yes. Yes it is," she realised and started to eat.

She hadn't even swallowed her first mouthful of rubbery, cold pasta when the shrill sound of the doorbell echoed in the flat.

"I wonder who that is," said Jocelyn in surprise. Nobody in the neighbourhood really knew her, with the exception of Madame Dorothea and Magnus Bane, but it was unlikely to be either of those people. Clary jumped off her chair eagerly and started towards the door before her mother pulled her back.

"What have I told you about not getting the door?" she scolded. Clary looked meekly down at her feet and Jocelyn shook her head. It may sound like she was being too harsh, but it was for Clary's own safety.

Sighing, and a little warily, she pushed back her chair and tucking it back under the table, made her way to the front door.

Taking the key from the hook, Jocelyn thrust it into the lock and turned it. She twisted the door handle downwards and pulled open the door.

She let out a gasp.

"Luke".

---------------

Dun dun dun!
Okay, by the way, we know that Jocelyn already knows about Luke being alive etc in the actual series but for the purposes of this fanfiction, she doesn't.

Hiii! This is Holly, and I'm writing this fanfiction with Rachel. It's meant to be set when Clary and Simon are pretty young; approximately three or four??
Anyway, we do hope you enjoy it! We'd appreciate feedback. Thanks for reading! -H :) x

Hi! I'm Rachel and I've loved writing this with Holly and I hope you love reading it!
I'd also really love to see your comments and feedback! <3 -R