Genesis Academy

Chapter One:

Sophie awoke to the sound of a light rapping on her door. The first thing she saw in the morning was the blueprints. Every clear space of Sophie’s walls was covered in blueprints of new inventions or photos of old inventions she had already made. Sophie looked like your typical 14 year old, blonde hair and blue eyes, but inside her mind was buzzing like a beehive. You give her 10 minutes, a rubber band, paper clip and some string and she will give you a working catapult. Maybe this is why what happened to Sophie happened. “Uggh. Yeah, come in sure it’s only…”Sophie glanced at her clock, “8:30 in the morning” she yelled at her door. “Oh good you’re up!”Only her mother could be oblivious to her daughter’s sarcasm. Behind her Sophie’s father came in carrying a massive cupcake with fourteen candles sticking out of it. It was a family tradition. Every birthday- anyone’s- her mother would bake a cupcake and put the candles in it. Not a cake but a giant cupcake. It was weird but they always turned out so well. “Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, Happy birthday my dear Sophie, Happy birthday to you” Her mother and father sang in unison. A big grin settled on Sophie’s face. She had forgotten her own birthday. Although they were lame she loved her parents more than anything. Her father put the cupcake on her bed along with two neatly wrapped present done up with a blue and pink bow. This had to have been done by her mother; she was the only woman on earth who would die of a heart-attack if anything was out of its place. Once Sophie had left the cap off a marker when she was six and her mom freaked out. “Wawa you guys didn’t have to get me presents!” Sophie gushed. It was totally not true but still she thought it was nice to say so. She ripped open the first one; from her mother. In it was a small blue box. She opened the box and inside was a pair of small silver earrings shaped like a wrench. Sophie almost teared up. Her mother had never supported her inventing. She said ‘women should not be hanging around with tools and grease’ but Sophie would never find out what changed her mind when two long, thin arms wrapped themselves around her shoulders. After a moment Sophie’s mother unwound herself, and Sophie reached for her father’s gift. Inside was a book. “101 wacky inventions” was the book she was looking at in the book store the other day. She threw her arms around her father. “Thanks dad!” There was one more thing; A small gold envelope. She gasped. Could it be? No it couldn’t. Why would it come for her? Sophie glanced up at her parents who were staring proudly at the envelope. Her heart rate sped up. Sophie carefully picked up the envelope and flipped it over. The Return to Sender address was none other than the famous Genesis Academy; School for geniuses. Sophie didn’t remember applying she remembered talking to her mom about want- Mom. She looked at her parents; they seemed to already know what was in the letter. “Did you read the letter?” She was close to yelling. “They looked at her snapped back into reality. “No honey, we would never invade your privacy like that.” Her mother came forward and laid a comforting hand on her shoulder. Sophie wiggled away. They seemed to pick up on her mood. They exchanged a glance then told her they would be downstairs. They shut the door gently, as if being careful not to wake a sleeping baby. Sophie jumped up and started pacing. She grabbed her phone and hit 1. The girl on the other end picked up on the third ring. “Hello?” a voice answered. “Jamie! Guess what so my parents come into my room this morning with the cupcake and the gifts then after a whole show of opening them I find an envelope. And are you ready for this… It’s gold. So naturally I think it’s-“ Her story was cut short when Jamie interrupted to say “Hold on let me close my door I swear I think my parents listen to everything I say” It sounded like Jamie was awake now! “Anyway, So like I said I find the envelope and naturally I assume its Genesis and then I see the Return to Sender address and it confirms my suspicions. I didn’t want to open it without you so should I open it now or wait ‘till were in person” Jamie was quiet for a moment. It took a while to soak in which didn't come as a shock to Sophie. Jamie is the best at what she does; Baking and Cooking but when it comes to putting two and two together she is as capable as a street mouse. The thought process was disturbed when a loud knock forced the girls to focus. “What Mom?” Jamie snapped. “There's a letter for you here. Says something about the Jeans acad-” Her mom was cut short by a frantic 14 year old girl unlocking her bedroom door to see a forty something woman standing their mid sentence looking at a small gold envelope. Jamie's mom thrust the letter to her daughter and she walked away. “Why couldn't I have had boys?” The girls heard her mom mutter. Jamie squealed with delight. “Soph, I got one too! Okay on the count of three we'll open them together. One, Two, THREE!” For a split second there was nothing but the sound of ripping paper, and then the sound of two teenage girls screaming filled their rooms. “OHMYGOSH! I want to see your face meet me at Our Spot in ten.” Sophie exclaimed as she jumped off the bed to get ready. The Spot was a place they had found in grade two, when the girls first met. There was a tree equal distance from each of their houses, a big oak tree with massive branches dripping with leaves. The girls loved it there. They could see the entire neighbourhood seeing as it was on a hill. Not too far, and not too close that their mothers could poke they're heads out the window and call them in for supper. Nope it was the perfect serenity of peace. Until, the girls got there.