Chapter 10

~Casey~

The next morning I woke up in a partial trance, probably because it was morning and I was tired. I swear, if schools in Florida get to have school at nine, why does my school start at eight in the morning? I contemplated this as I went through my usual routine. I hopped in the shower, brushed my teeth, made strange faces in the mirror, and then I remembered yesterday's events. I was in the middle of trying to copy the face of the man in The Scream painting when it hit me. I saw my 'Scream' morph into my own version of 'oh, my ever loving God, what the Hell?' I splashed cold water on my face just to make sure my life was, well, still living.

After a few splashes of cold water on my face I calmed down and made myself a resolution that I would limit these kinds of morning experiences to five for the entire year, which leaves me now with four. I wanted to make it no more, but let's face it, with my luck I'm going to need at least four more of these 'sessions' just to get me through to Christmas.

Well, luckily today is Friday, so I'll have the whole weekend to freak out as much as I want to. For once I'm very glad that my school never started off the new school year on a Monday. This year we started on Wednesday, hence why today is Friday.

I continued to get ready as I thought about the day ahead of me. I wonder if Payne will talk to me, if he’ll still be a jerk to me? Well, he'll always be a jerk. The question is, do I still dislike him for it?

Good Lord, I feel like I've just gone on a first date and I don't know if that means we are a 'thing' or not. Funny how awkward relationship scenarios are relevant to everything these days.

Do I like him now? I asked myself as I contemplated what to wear for the day. I felt my heart flutter in response, but my head wasn't so sure. I admit that my heart rate picks up when I think about him, and no other guy I've ever laid eyes on compares to him. Not to mention how his eyes are just these endless vacuums trying to suck me away. But my head was the definition of mixed emotions towards the guy. I refused to forget the fact that he and his posse have caused a lot of unnecessary grief towards my circle of friends and I. I also can’t forget that he's never even taken any notice to me specifically, always hating on my general group, without even knowing the people in it.

Whether I like him or not I'm wearing what I want to wear, I decided as I pulled out my black high rise shorts and my dark red T-shirt my mom got from Second City in Chicago. I loosely tucked my shirt into my shorts and finished off my look with some old grey converses. I left my hair to air dry on my shoulders finding it pointless to blow dry unless I got up an hour earlier. I like my sleep.

I finally made it down stairs just in time to see Marie coming down my driveway. I quickly grabbed my purple rucksack backpack and met her outside.

"Case!" Marie said as I buckled my seat belt. "What happened to you the other day? You disappeared off the face of the Earth! I swear even Sherlock Holmes wouldn’t have tracked you down yesterday."

"Yeah, well," I stammered coming up with an excuse as close to the truth as possible. "Did you hear about the egg incident?"

"Uh-huh, that one where some smuck nailed you with a bucket of eggs strategically placed on top of the gym room door?"

"Yup, that one," I replied, happy that I didn't have to explain all of that. "I was covered all over in egg yolks and stuff. I couldn't get it out of my hair, and I swear it stained my shirt. So I decided to go home, kind of thinking that if a girl has eggs dumped on top of her that she deserves the rest of the day off."

"Good point," Marie agreed. "I still cannot believe it! I swear, if it weren't for Tim being there none of us would have known."

The rest of the car ride consisted of Marie's disbelief to the whole eggs situation yesterday and me nodding my head and making sounds of agreement.