Chapter 9

~Casey's POV~

"What?" I asked as I looked with my watery gaze at the man in the mirror. My voice cracked when I spoke so I tried to cover it with a cough, like I was just clearing my throat. It was pointless though, he'd seen me crying, and hell- he is still watching me cry. There is no doubt that he also knew my voice cracked and that I was about to burst into a new fit of crying as opposed to the silent tears I'm spewing right now. 

I can't believe he's here to see me cry. Come on, can't he turn into someone else, just for now? I don't want to be pitied or ridiculed, what ever he has to offer. I just want my mom...

"I wanted to see if you were okay," Payne said, and the weird part is, I think he meant it.

"Well, as you can tell, I'm doing just great," I sarcastically replied. I refused to let myself break down in front of him anymore than I already am. 

"I can see that," he folded his arms across his chest and caught my eye in the mirror. "Casey, I know you're not okay, you're upset," I'll never know what else he had to say, if anything at all, because I interrupted him before he could completely finish.

"Well no shit Sherlock," I said as more tears started to find their way out. What can I say, I don't excel at being able to stop my tears. I'm under the strong belief that when a girl gets eggs dumped on her she has the right respond however she wishes, and I'm upset. "So tell me, what gave me away, the tears running down my face, my voice cracking left and right? No, I know, it was the yolk in my hair wasn't it?"

I can't take it; I have to get out of here. I need to go home for the day, tell the nurse I have an allergy to yolk, or something. I can't stand being here, in a bathroom with this boy just staring at me. Yes, he hasn't done anything, but that's it. He isn't doing anything. An egotistical, arrogant Payne I can handle, but now that he's acting like he actually cares? I can't deal with this right now!

I took a few deep breaths to get myself under control. Once I was sure that I could make it to the nurse without breaking into mass hysterics I turned to leave the restroom. 

"Excuse me," I said in my dead, monotone voice that I resort to when I need to hide myself away. 

"What?" Payne responded his face wore a mask of confusion. 

"Excuse me," I repeated, this time with a little less of my calm demeanor. 

"Why?" Is he stupid now? Can he not see the egg in my hair or my tear stained face?

"Because I want to go home," I sighed in response, rubbing at my eyes, tired of the conversation. 

"Ok, I'll take you," he said, taking a step towards me.

"No, I'm fine. I'm just going to go to the nurse, get a pass out of here and call my mom or something."

I made a move to around him and he blocked me again. 

"No, I'm taking you home," he crossed his arms over his chest as if that made his decision final.

I shook my head in frustration and ran my hands through my hair unattractively, causing my hair to stick together with the drying yolks. 

"You know what, fine. You can take me home," my mom always told me to pick my battles, might as well start paying some attention to her advice or I'll be stuck here for the next hour with the way things are going. 

I started for the door, this time Payne let me walk past. When I turned for the nurse he gently grabbed my shoulder to direct me to the doors.

"Don't worry about it, I've got it covered," Payne said, answering my unasked question. I only shrugged in response as we finally made it out of the door, officially leaving this God-forsaken school. I expected him to take his hand off my shoulder as we continued on to his car but he kept it where it was. Even more unexpectedly, I let him.