Questioning Sanity

I awoke to a deafening scream. I stretched my limbs and sighed, sitting up from my previous slumped over position. Dragging my feet, I followed the sound that echoed throughout the halls, the screeching gradually growing. As I turned a corner, the shrieking immediately stopped and I was grabbed from the side, a hand muffling my own cries of protest. I jabbed my elbow behind me, effectively hitting my attacker in the face. Grabbing a hold of the keys on my belt, I ran to the panic button (one is posted in every room) and shoved a key into the key hole, silently praying it was the right one. I didn’t have much time before my adversary would recover from the blow, so when I heard the satisfying click indicating that the glass protecting the panic button had been unlocked, I breathed a sigh of relief. I was so close to hitting that button and calling for back up, but the only thing I remembered then was a distinct, sharp pain in my arm right before I collapsed.

 Slowly peeling my eyes open, I tried not to alert my attacker of my awakening by laying stiffly on the cold cement, (though I couldn't go far in the straight jacket I seemed to have been put in). I thought this method was effective until my eyes had landed on the woman seated in the corner, watching me through narrowed eyes of her own. She didn’t say anything at first, just stared. I didn’t dare utter a word; I just watched her with calculating eyes. She slowly rose out of her seat, advancing towards me challengingly. Only when she came to a stop in front of me did I notice she held something in her hand.

“Do you know how easy it was to get this, Mr. Copelin?” She asked rhetorically, playing with a syringe in her hands.

“Almost too easy. All I had to do was give a guard a pack of cigarettes, and I could have what I wanted,”

“But how did you-” I started to question, but she cut me off.

“Ahh so many questions to be answered, but so little time. Well I guess I’ll answer one that frequently comes up, much to my annoyance,” she grumbled the last part with a grimace, scowling at the floor in remembrance.

“And that would be?” I raised an eyebrow.

Her eyes shifted to me, the look of distaste still firmly planted on her face.

“Why,”

“Why?” I repeated.

“Why are you doing this? Why did this have to happen to me? Why did you capture and bring me here? There are all different forms of saying it but they all revolve around the same basic question: why?” she explained.

Honestly, the thought of asking why hadn’t occurred to me. I only tried to figure a way out or a way to notify somebody of the situation.

The woman drew me out of my thoughts with her words. “I do this all for them. My friends. Don't you see them? They’re all around us!” 

I tried to follow her gaze but the trouble with that was that we were the only ones in her room.

“Ummmm...”

“Yes?” She turned to looked at me expectantly.

“Could you further explain what you mean by ‘friends’?” I chose my words carefully.

She furrowed her brow, the happiness previously radiating off of her disappeared. “You don’t see them?”

I shook my head slightly.

“Strange...” she trailed off, whispering to herself.

 I think this was what she was in here for in the first place. Let’s just say she has some 'imaginary    friends' and a tendency to talk to herself a lot. I still needed to come up with a plan to get out of there, but I couldn’t do much in the damn straight jacket.

“They have chosen to reveal themselves to you,”

“Right...” I replied, disbelieving.

What I saw next had me questioning my own sanity because standing in front of me were four ghosts.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~ Heyy guys! Soo this is my new story. I really want to know what you think. I will be editing this soon, but I still want to know your opinions on the story so far! : ) Love + Rockets, shayluvieee<3