Chapter 22.

The phone rang and rang with no answer. Maybe Harry was busy. Maybe he was in heavy traffic and couldn't take his eyes off the road to find his phone. A small amount of anxiety flowed in my veins. Waiting a few minutes, I called again. This time it went to voice mail. My stomach clenched at the sound of his deep voice over the phone. I had missed his voice even more than I thought.

I didn't want to be that crazy girl but I couldn't stop myself, calling him over and over again with no answer. It started going directly to voice mail each time and I would call again just to hear his voice. I was truly pathetic. Desperate.

The rest of the night was spent with me wallowing in my own feelings. I called Harry's number one more time before trying to sleep. His voice rumbled through my mind.

"Hello, it's Harry here. I can't get to the phone now so just leave me a message. I'll get back to you as quickly as possible."

Thursday and Friday at school weren't the best. I felt unstable and anxious the whole time. I needed to get ahold of Harry and tell him what I had found out. I knew he would be ecstatic if I could just tell him.

I had thought up an idea while sitting in my math class on Friday. It was a little crazy but it was the only way since Harry obviously couldn't get to his phone. I still knew where his key was at. He always had one hidden under the mat by his front door. I would go there after school and be waiting for him when he got out of work like I had a few weeks ago.

When the final bell rang I couldn't get out of the school fast enough. I drove down the street towards Harry's place, having to work hard to not go over the speed limit. I parked on the edge of his driveway so he would have room to pull in when he got home.

When I got inside, his house was clean and beautiful like it always had been. I went to work in his kitchen to make dinner for him. It would be ready by the time he got home. I dug through his cabinets and once I had everything put together, I put the dish in the oven.

I made my way back to his front room and took a seat on the couch. I flipped his tv on while I waited. I got more nervous the closer to got to time for Harry to get home, more excited. I couldn't wait for the feeling that I'd get upon seeing him again. A small inkling in the back of my mind was telling me I was absolutely insane for doing this. Batshit crazy. Apparently, love made people act irrationally.

The timer on the stove went off. I took the dish out, sitting it in the middle of the table in the dinning room. Everything was going smoothly. It would only be around ten minutes until Harry would be home. My insides tingled in anticipation.

I was leaning against the kitchen counter when I heard a car pull into the drive way. I couldn't stop smiling. I walked into the front room, seeing his shadow go by the window. Another shadow went past and I froze up. Was he bringing home another girl? Was that he reason he ended it between us?

The door knob twisted and Harry walked inside, his eyes widening when he spotted me. He took a few more steps inside and Cara walked in behind him. I held my breath. There was nothing I could do to make Cara forget I was here. She was Harry's friend, she would have to understand. I shot her a smile that she didn't return.

My heart thudded so hard in my chest at the sight of Harry that I swore time had came to a stand still. He looked even more beautiful, his eyes brighter. When I could breath properly again I started to get nervous. Harry's mouth was fixated into a straight line, his expression unreadable. Why wasn't he smiling and excited like I was? Maybe he just needed to know what I had found out.

"Can I talk to you for a minute, Jessica?" Harry asked. His tone was cold as ice.

I nodded and followed his lead into the kitchen. Cara plopped down on the couch to wait for us.